Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Photo of the day Monday September 30, 2013 Playoff bound.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
To celebrate the start of the baseball post season and to celebrate the end of the 20+ year post season droought for the Pittsburgh Pirates I wanted to post this photo of perhaps the Pirates post season king, Bill Mazeroski. As you may or may not know, Mazeroski hit a home run off of Yankee pitcher Ralph Terry in the bottom of the ninth inning in game seven of the 1960 World Series. This home run that sailed over left fielder Yogi Berra's head was the first World Series winning walk off home run in baseball history and only Joe Carter was able to duplicate this feat decades later.

I love this photo because it is an action shot but also because it tells of a different time. The umpire is wearing a tie, the stadium is not surrounded by stands crammed with fans and Wrigley Field was not the only ball park with vines on it's outfield walls.
I would have loved to see a game at Pittsburgh's Forbes Field but that is not meant to be. As a side not, a part of the wall still stands at the University of Pittsburgh and they have marked the outlne of the wall that was demolished with paver bricks so one can at least go there and imagine what it must have been like.

I hope you enjoy today's photo.

maz_zps912c7856.jpg

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Cool pic.

Your description makes me think of the classic photo in Life Magazine of students celebrating Maz's famous homer from atop the University of Pittsburgh’s Cathedral of Learning.

silk_d_ic_wp.jpg

Members online