Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Short note about Dale Sveum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
I'm glad he was responsible for Starlin's menal lapses, signing Edwin Jackson to a ridiculous contract & giving Travis Wood zero run support. He loses his job, but the players keep theirs. Just the way this business works.

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
I'm glad he was responsible for Starlin's menal lapses, signing Edwin Jackson to a ridiculous contract & giving Travis Wood zero run support. He loses his job, but the players keep theirs. Just the way this business works.

I don't know much about how he did this year (other than the record, of course) as the Cubs don't get much coverage here, but I totally agree with this. I wish there was a better way to hold players accountable for their performance. The Cubs future has some hope with those prospects coming up.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Everyone....and I mean EVERYONE knew he was nothing more than a place holderuntil they could find someone better to "lead the team to vistory". He was not the best baseball tactician but when you trade the best players away, have superstars that lose track of the game while they are still playing in it and any number of other issues, I think it is crazy to blame the manager for the season they had.

Managers are hired to be fired but most managers at least get some decent players to try and mold. These past two years have been a joke and now Sveum, as expected, is the fall guy. There better be some HUGE improvements for 2014 or Theo and the rest of his crew might find themselves on the outside looking in at this time next year.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
When to send a closer out to pitch "Carlos Marmol" and he keeps blowing saves " the beginning of the last 2 years" and you just send he in the game again and again and again and again you lose lose lose lose......Well that's on the Manager. when I did watch games "not many" he did some of the worse bone head things I have ever seen. Carlos Marmol is one of the biggest. He will never be a winning manager. I do not care what players you gave him. He would have lost. I just wish the Cards had hired him 2 years ago;)

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
When to send a closer out to pitch "Carlos Marmol" and he keeps blowing saves " the beginning of the last 2 years" and you just send he in the game again and again and again and again you lose lose lose lose......Well that's on the Manager. when I did watch games "not many" he did some of the worse bone head things I have ever seen. Carlos Marmol is one of the biggest. He will never be a winning manager. I do not care what players you gave him. He would have lost. I just wish the Cards had hired him 2 years ago;)

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the Marmol issue was the team was trying to showcase him so that could dump him on another unsuspecting team. This kind of direction usually comes from upstairs but Marmol kept spitting the bit and the "showcase" backfired. I do not think that this can be put in Sveum's lap as he was just following orders.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
So what you are saying is good coaching will not improve a hitters ability to hit or a pitchers ability to pitch?

That at no point in a players career are adjustments made? That a good coach can't improve a player? To adjust that player?

Stupid indeed!

CubsfanP

May 21, 2012
Greenwood, IN
The role of a coach is to take the players they currently have and make them better. Help them identify their shortcomings and work with them to resolve those. Good coaches are the ones who have a bad player and make them decent, take the decent player and make them good, take the good players and make them elite.

Think about it at your work: do you have a good or bad coach? Is your boss effective at identifying shortcomings of you and your co-workers? Also are they effective at working with employees to boost those areas?

This is how I would evaluate a coach.

Svuem does not pass that criteria.

Sure he had been dealt a short hand, and some of his players were traded away. However the people that he had a direct impact in coaching (Castro, Rizzo, Shark, etc) all failed badly. Hell, some of the players traded away (Soriano, Maholm) actually did better post-trade.

DiebytheCubs

Dec 2, 2012
Chicago suburbs/Ohio
They should have at least kept him around until the end of his contract. Everyone knew he was just a placeholder with no real expectations and the Cubs probably won't be significantly better next year. I know there are some rumors swirling around about Girardi but I don't think it would be a good idea for Girardi now. If they had kept Svuem for the last year and the Cubs played .500 ball or close to it the organization might have been able to build a better case.

LazerShow15

Apr 2, 2009
Wisconsin
A manager is there to by a psychiatrist and get the most out of all of the players. The manager needs to know how each player reacts to certain stimuli.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Yep. That was the joke. It's the Cubs. They are about as dumb as they come.

Who said the Cubs wanted Ryno? Theo? Jed? Nope. So, they are dumb because they didn't get a manager they didn't want anyways? They could have had him before for peanuts and DIDN'T offer him the job....

Members online

Latest posts