Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Photo of the Day Sunday October 6, 2013 Minnesota Willie?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Today's photo of the day features a very young Willie Mays looking happy and healthy. But wait! He isn't wearing a Giants uniform.......he is attired in a Minneapolis Millers uniform from 1951. Willie didnt spend allot of time in Minnesota that summer as he would make his debut in New York a short time after this picture was taken and be in the on deck circle later that year when Bobby Thompson would hit his historic "shot heard round the world" to beat the Brooklyn Dodgers and propel the Giants to the World Series.

Enjoy today's photo of the day.

williemaysminn2751.jpg

Here is a interesting item about one of Willie's Millers jerseys from the same year.

1951 Willie Mays Minneapolis Millers Jersey | Roadshow Archive | PBS

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
So many great players have come through the minors in Minnesota... It's really fun to read up on them.

Thanks for sharing the photo!

You are right! I know Ted Williams and Mays both spent some time up in the frozen north. I had a chance to talk to Bill Skowron about his time up there and he loved it. He said his time up there helped him develop as a ball player. He was able to concentrate on his playing abilities and honed them while with the Millers.

As for the 50 buck jersey....It is not unusual to find old minor league jerseys scattered here and there. The guy who bought this one probably wouldnt have thought it was anything but a common jersey if he didn't do some research. That just goes to show you there are some still some incredible finds out there just waiting to be discovered.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
You are right! I know Ted Williams and Mays both spent some time up in the frozen north. I had a chance to talk to Bill Skowron about his time up there and he loved it. He said his time up there helped him develop as a ball player. He was able to concentrate on his playing abilities and honed them while with the Millers.

Denny McClain in Duluth, Lou Brock in St. Cloud, Minnie Minoso in St. Paul...

Always fun to see what guys came through.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts