Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

weird ebay situation what would you guys have done

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
I have a card listed on ebay for 24.99 obo with $3 shipping. I get an offer for $18 and I accept it, send the invoice for $21. few minutes later I get a message asking for the updated invoice??? I ask what he meant and I already sent the invoice. He said I sent a note with my offer saying free shipping....... which I didn't see. So I tell him that I didn't see the note and my shipping cost is $3 on all single cards and free shipping on any number after that. then he says well its not his fault I didn't read his note, so I ask if you wanted it for $18 total why not just offer $15 plus the $3 shipping????? then offer him $1 off shipping or he could cancel the transaction and he says no and he'll se me in the claims dept if I don't send for $18 total....... I just told him he's not worth my time and sent him the invoice for $18 he paid and I blocked him.

never had this happen so wondering what I should have done or what you guys would have done.

stricklcp

Jun 15, 2013
ATL
I had a guy a few wks back try and bully me into combining shipping, etc. Now I don't advertise combined shipping but I'm reasonable so when I voluntarily discounted shipping $8 (which made shipping $5 total for 6 cards) and he sent me a nasty message about how he's some secret shopper from eBay and all.......I consider my time (I have a 19 month old) and materials when calculating shipping costs. Also, I sell for fun, not for a main source of income.....long story short I told him I don't do business with bullies or extortionists, canceled the transaction (which he accepted), and filed a claim/complaint against this person with eBay. I checked eBay a few days later and his account was no longer active. Suspect for sure!

Hope this helps a little bit as this was a first for me too!

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Yeah I've got messages like that. I think the buyer feels they are offering more and the seller will think so also at $18/dlvd , than $15 + shipping.

I'd prob eat the $3 and move on, the fact he threatened to send to claims instead of working with you and splitting the difference make me feel less sympathetic for him though

Ryan

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
Unfortunately I would have shipped for $18 and just accepted it as a lesson learned. We all go through them.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
Always read the notes on those offers. I would have shipped for $18 and considered it a lesson learned.

Why send an offer for $18 and ask for free shipping??? Just offer $15 with the $3 shipping....

When you accept an offer with a note attached I don't think it should hold you to what the note asks???

If he would have messages me about it & I changed it to free shipping for him that's different.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
Unfortunately I would have shipped for $18 and just accepted it as a lesson learned. We all go through them.

That's what I did , but I still think it's BS. Just cause there's a note asking for something that doesn't mean I agreed until I actually change my listing to free shipping if you ask me.

Ashburn Alley

Aug 10, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I have a card listed on ebay for 24.99 obo with $3 shipping. I get an offer for $18 and I accept it, send the invoice for $21. few minutes later I get a message asking for the updated invoice??? I ask what he meant and I already sent the invoice. He said I sent a note with my offer saying free shipping....... which I didn't see. So I tell him that I didn't see the note and my shipping cost is $3 on all single cards and free shipping on any number after that. then he says well its not his fault I didn't read his note, so I ask if you wanted it for $18 total why not just offer $15 plus the $3 shipping????? then offer him $1 off shipping or he could cancel the transaction and he says no and he'll se me in the claims dept if I don't send for $18 total....... I just told him he's not worth my time and sent him the invoice for $18 he paid and I blocked him.

never had this happen so wondering what I should have done or what you guys would have done.

Same thing happened to me a couple months ago. Is the buyer from NJ by any chance?

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I see your side however, when sending an offer doesn't the "notes" section actually say something about specifying additional terms, etc.? Based on the way it is worded the buyer probably feels (and technically so) that he is requesting free shipping in the correct place and manner.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
I see your side however, when sending an offer doesn't the "notes" section actually say something about specifying additional terms, etc.? Based on the way it is worded the buyer probably feels (and technically so) that he is requesting free shipping in the correct place and manner.

Not sure I never saw the note, honestly don't know if he even really sent a note. I accepted the offer from my phone ebay app????

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
After reading his message about being overcharged, I would have re-read his original 'offer' message and if indeed it was my fault for not fully reading/comprehending his offer/message then I would have of course offered him the agreed upon amount of $18.00.

A_Pharis

I would think - regardless of what his note said - that he sent you an offer of $18 accepting the $3 charge. I mean, what's to keep me from trying to slip by a "Lawl this offer should only be accepted if you will refund me my money once I get the card".

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
I would think - regardless of what his note said - that he sent you an offer of $18 accepting the $3 charge. I mean, what's to keep me from trying to slip by a "Lawl this offer should only be accepted if you will refund me my money once I get the card".

& I want it in a pink box with zebra stripes or card will be free

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
After reading his message about being overcharged, I would have re-read his original 'offer' message and if indeed it was my fault for not fully reading/comprehending his offer/message then I would have of course offered him the agreed upon amount of $18.00.

I deleted the offer message after I got it. I just so happened to clear out all my old messages & offers from my inbox

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I'm with you rum, why not just offer the $15? I would NEVER offer and hope he sees my message asking for free s/h. I would send a direct message saying "Hey, I'm interested for $18 all-in, whether that's free s/h on and $18 offer or a $15 offer and your $3 s/h"

Pretty simple. I wonder how that'd pan out in claims.

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

Stryk

Aug 7, 2008
If he sent an offer with the terms as free shipping, it's your fault you accepted without reading. I know it's weird, I sold a Nolan Ryan to a guy where he offered $300 and put in terms free shipping. I only was charging like $1.69 shipping anyway.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
If he sent an offer with the terms as free shipping, it's your fault you accepted without reading. I know it's weird, I sold a Nolan Ryan to a guy where he offered $300 and put in terms free shipping. I only was charging like $1.69 shipping anyway.

for a $300 card I would gladly have already offered free shipping

Members online