Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How did you come to collect the team or player you collect

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tchronis24

Oct 5, 2013
Hey guys. Most of us have a team or player that we collect. How did you guys come to collect the player you collect?

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
all started in '86, I think Mattingly was my 1st pack pulled card of a superstar I pulled. After that is was all Mattingly for me. Even became a Yankee fan in O's Country. I got crap all the time in school and still get crap for being a yankee fan.

Now, I dont have a favorite team or player. Just a fan of the game.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
Visited the Astrodome back in 94, saw the Astros lose to the Reds. Came back to the Bay area a changed man. Rooted for the Astros ever since. As for Bagwell, i started to collect Biggio and the rest of the team. Then Bagwell had more cards than Biggio, and so i started to focus my collection solely on Bags.

dbacksfan4life

Aug 21, 2013
Arizona
Started rooting for the Dbacks for as long as l can remember. Really started to follow them in 2008-2009 when we were going to games about 10+ times a season.

I dont really collect a single player but my main focus is Goldschimdt and l started in 2011 when he got called up to the big leagues in September.

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
I've thought about this a lot and there's no clear recollection of exactly why I chose Randy Johnson. I remember collecting PSA 9 rookie cards and buying junk wax when I started on eBay in 1999 and I think I just wanted to collect something that was a) more focused b) more affordable. My thinking was RJ was one of the best players around but undervalued in the collecting world. By undervalued I mean there aren't droves of PC's of him like there are the big guns like Griffey etc (although he does have 10k cards in Beckett, which makes him top 15 in that aspect. thanks Moments & Milestones). So I think you could say it was a combination of him being my favorite player & it being a pragmatic focus for my hobby. According to my eBay userid history I joined in July '99 & changed to 'bigunitcards' in May '00. 13 years later... :)

RogerMarisCollector61

Jan 26, 2010
Ryan Howard is who really got me interested in the phillies. When I think back on why I love them, images of his monstrous home runs race through my mind. However, Chase Utley became my favorite player a few years ago and it's simply because I've never seen anyone play the game like him. He's a 5 tool player, has a genius level baseball iq, and hates the spotlight. He's a pleasure to watch, and makes miserable seasons like this one enjoyable. Like the late Harry Kalas would say, "Chase Utley you are the man."

IndiansFan

Aug 5, 2013
USA
Right now, I collect the Indians because they're from Ohio. I am still figuring out which Indians player I want to collect.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Jay Bruce is the player I collect. I remember when he was signed, he gave his signing bonus to his sister that has a handicap so she can have a more comfortable life and medical treatments she needs. He continues to take care of her for her needs and makes sure she has everything.

Doesnt hurt that he is a decent power hitter and RBI machine.

Fordman

Sent from my DROID4 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I randomly bought a pack of 1991 Topps at a 7-11. The design hooked me. I went to the comic shop that also sold cards that I had ignored for years, and saw 1991 Stadium Club, and it blew my mind. I bought 2 packs at $5 each and pulled a Frank Thomas card.
$(KGrHqRHJCoFEPQh86edBRqulRWSog~~60_12.JPG

The color and gloss was so striking, this scan is really pale in comparison. Plus, as it turns out, he was a pretty good player. So I decided to focus on him.

In 2000 I was really working hard to save up for a down payment on a house, hitting every shop and show I could to find stuff to flip on ebay, with some rookie speculation. I noticed Grady Sizemore was in the Bowman update but not the Bowman Chrome update, something that could really explode if he made a splash, and since he was a decent but not-overly-hyped prospect, I started accumulating a stash of his cards at 50 cents-buck each, with a couple autos at $20.
$(KGrHqV,!qEFJN-jc1wQBSVNP1wpGg~~60_12.JPG

When 2001 Topps came out, a friend bought a box to try to "get into cards" as I think he envied my passion for something. He never bought another pack, but he did hit the Sizemore auto in that box, and sold it to me. Since I was never going to find every Frank card, I decided to get in on the ground floor with a new guy, and became a mostly-completist for Sizemore (which was awesome until about 2010).

Members online

Latest posts