Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

HOF auto #233 was an absolute STEAL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
IF IT'S AUTHENTIC, and I believe that it is.
This is a Sporting News photo depicting Art Fletcher and Wilbert Robinson. It took some research, but the photo was taken on opening day of 1923, when the Fletcher-managed Phillies were in Brooklyn to face the Robinson-managed Robins. Further input from the knowledgable folks on net54 tells me that the trademark stamp on the back dates from around the same time, giving me peace of mind that the photo development easily predated Robinson's death (and this is probaly what is known as a Type 1 photo, but that is not a certainty).

Looking at the auto of Robinson, it is smooth, clearly depressed in ink, and visibly old. It also matches the exemplars I can find of Robinson, both online and in my HOF autograph books. I got this in hand, and the only conclusion I can draw is that this is a legit auto on an original press photo.

The best part? The ebay seller listed it as "possibly signed," so I got it for my opening bid of 75 dollars. If I can get this certed, it would sell for 2500 or so. I'm undecided about sending it to PSA/DNA, as I think it's real and am not looking to move it. For the time being, I'm calling this HOF auto #233 for my collection.

I welcome any input about the item and arguments about authenticity. Thanks for looking.

RobinsonW_zps0abb8a0a.jpeg

Robinsonclose_zps904c9dbb.jpeg

Robinsonback_zps25227c53.jpeg

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
That has to go to PSA/DNA...just to get some peace of mind of the greatest potential steal in ages. Very very cool, and I absolutely love that photo!

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
What would it cost to send to get authenticated? IMO it doesn't really matter if it's never leaving the PC but if you want to have a piece of mind, then do it.

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Send Jim Stinson some detailed high res pics. He's more respected anyway.
I agree and was hoping he would opine on my thread at net54. I may see how much he would charge me, because JSA and PSA/DNA want 170 (with shipping) to cert it.

Edited: oops I was thinking of Richard Simon. Stinson doesn't issue third-party LOAs.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
WOWZA!!!!

Have you seen this on PSA's site- PSA AutographFacts? - Wilbert Robinson ?

I see some nice similarities- the curl on the left of the W, the way the small t is not crossed but what do I know.

Congrats!!! Almost HOF voting time for this year- veteran and regular.
Thanks Scott. I've looked at pretty much everything I could find. Several of the examplars on the autograph facts site look kinda shaky, but I particularly like the comparison with the last example shown there.

I know that the voting is coming up. They should announce the veteran's ballot early next month. The days they announce the winners have become like holidays for me, as they probably have for you!

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
That's really awesome and a beautiful photo to boot. Personally I'd go for certifying it for my own piece of mind (I know it would bug me not having that validation, and at the price you paid there should be a few bucks left for authenticating lol.) That said, if you are just as happy either way, probably no reason to spend the money.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Who were the Robins?
Quick Wikipedia quote

Other team names used by the franchise which would finally be called the Dodgers were the Grays, the Grooms, the Bridegrooms, the Superbas and the Robins. All of these nicknames were used by fans and sportswriters to describe the team, but not in any official capacity. The team's legal name was the Brooklyn Base Ball Club.[7] However, the Trolley Dodger nickname was used throughout this period, along with these other nicknames, by fans and sportswriters of the day. The team did not use the name in any formal sense until 1932, when the word "Dodgers" appeared on jerseys for the team.[8] The "conclusive shift" came in 1933, when both home and road jerseys for the team bore the name "Dodgers"

I use the name Robins here because of its connection to the very subject of this post, one Wilbert Robinson, whose name bestowed the team nickname.

Last edited:

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
Who'd pay $2500 for it?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Quick Wikipedia quote

Other team names used by the franchise which would finally be called the Dodgers were the Grays, the Grooms, the Bridegrooms, the Superbas and the Robins. All of these nicknames were used by fans and sportswriters to describe the team, but not in any official capacity. The team's legal name was the Brooklyn Base Ball Club.[7] However, the Trolley Dodger nickname was used throughout this period, along with these other nicknames, by fans and sportswriters of the day. The team did not use the name in any formal sense until 1932, when the word "Dodgers" appeared on jerseys for the team.[8] The "conclusive shift" came in 1933, when both home and road jerseys for the team bore the name "Dodgers"

I use the name Robins here because of its connection to the very subject of this post, one Wilbert Robinson, whose name bestowed the team nickname.

Yuck, those were some awful names then.Players probably threatened to quit if they were called Superbas or Bridegrooms.Didn't the Red Sox go by Beaneaters or some hideous name back then too?

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
Truly rare signatures aren't priced on popularity of the signer.

Yeah, I get that. Just wondering who/what type of collector would pay $2500 for it, or other than its rarity what gives it the valuation of $2500?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts