Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Photo of the day Sunday October 13, 2013 Yer Out!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Today's photo of the day is a simple photo...no real thrills about it yet it is still a cool shot. I don't know what it is about this photo other than, as someone said on a previous Photo of the Day thread, these pictures just seem to stop time. I really do think this photo stops time and for some reason I can hear the Ump calling the runner out.

Today's photo features a sliding Carl Yastrzemski of the Boston Red Sox being tagged out at third by Minnesota Twins third baseman Rich Rollins. This photo would have been taken at the old Metropolitan Stadium in Bloomington, Minnesota. The interesting part about this stadium is that it was torn down in order to make way for the Mall of America that now stands in the exact same spot. The architects preserved the spot where home plate stood as well as the spot the 520 foot home run Harmon Killebrew hit off of Lew Burdette in 1967 landed. They have commemorated this Killebrew moon shot by hanging the red chair the ball hit, high up on the wall of the mall's amusement park.

I am unsure of the date or the umpires name but one thing I am sure of....Yaz was out!!

Have a great Sunday and enjoy today's photo of the day.

1267682_731185943562264_1668753860_o_zps7b097f5b.jpg

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
That's cool.
Yknow how many times I drove by mall of America and didn't stop. If is known the plate area and the red chair were there I'd certainly have stopped

Sent from my iPhone

mchenrycards

That's cool.
Yknow how many times I drove by mall of America and didn't stop. If is known the plate area and the red chair were there I'd certainly have stopped

Sent from my iPhone

It is oddly cool how they marked the spot where the chair was when Killebrew hit it. It is put up on a wall for all to see it but it is easily missed. Home plate is about 520 feet from this spot!! :)

HarmonKillebrewChairinMallofAmerica_zpsc224bfc8.jpg

mchenrycards

I do know that when Killebrew passed away they had a banner hanging next to the chair making the chair more visible. The seat is approximately right were his home run had landed

Honestly, I have never been to the Mall of America and my wife has been bugging me to take a trip there for the last few years. Since we live about a 6 hour ride away it might be something we will do soon. This gives me a chance to visit the old Met Stadium site and see this chair and the home plate they have marked out on the floor. Its going to kill me to turn my wife loose in a mall but to see this chair and the visit the old site it might be worth it.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Honestly, I have never been to the Mall of America and my wife has been bugging me to take a trip there for the last few years. Since we live about a 6 hour ride away it might be something we will do soon. This gives me a chance to visit the old Met Stadium site and see this chair and the home plate they have marked out on the floor. Its going to kill me to turn my wife loose in a mall but to see this chair and the visit the old site it might be worth it.

Lol I lived 5 hours away at one point but we always flew out of there for some reason. Made it to Chicago and St. Louis as well but never any games. :(

Members online

Latest posts