Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Photo of the day Tuesday October 15, 2013 The greatest lefty of them all................

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Warren Spahn is the winningest left hander in the history of the game with 363 wins to his credit. This World War II veteran, who fought in the Battle of the Bulge (look it up if you dont know about this battle) became an exceptional pitcher in the major leagues for more than two decades. Mr. Spahn had spent the majority of his Major League service with the Boston/Milwaukee Braves and finished his career with the San Francisco Giants.

Here is to Mr. Spahn with his intimidating wind up.....

spahn_zps71df2418.jpg

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
Good stuff. I had the chance to meet him back in the early 90's but my mom decided school was more important (2nd grade :-(). My dad did at least get me a personalized signed post card.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
trying to think - anyone with a that high of leg kick nowdays? if there is, it's not coming to me right this moment.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
trying to think - anyone with a that high of leg kick nowdays? if there is, it's not coming to me right this moment.
Bronson Arroyo has a similar kick in which his leg goes straight out, but not quite as high as Spahn, who basically did the splits.

bronson-arroyo-mets-rumors.jpg

Last edited:

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Bronson Arroyo has a similar kick in which his leg goes straight out, but not quite as high as Spahn, who basically did the splits.

works for me (close enough for government work, as they say). ;) wouldn't it be funny if we saw a lot of old-fashioned pitching delivery mechanics coming back if it was determined the old fashioned style was more sound and less injury-prone than current pitching mechanics???

fyi, my favorite recent player with old-fashioned type pitching movement was Paul Byrd.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Love Spahn. I started building the 1965 Topps set in PSA 8 and got one card into it, this one:
b623_lg.jpeg
(not this exact one).

I stopped there. I figured I had already gotten the best card in the set. Although I have been thinking of adding this one.
yogiberra1965toppscard.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts