Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

David Price - Trade Scenarios - Let's spit ball

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Most experts think that David Price will be traded this off-season, and I have to agree with them. They have options to slide into the rotation, personally I think Mr. Odorizzi is ready to go after his phenomenal playoff performances (3 minor league playoff starts, .50 ERA).

With that being said, who do you see as realistic trade partners? And what is a package that would actually be POSSIBLE to be accepted?

A few I have been thinking about:

Rangers - Jurickson Profar + Luke Jackson

Yankees - Mason Williams, Tyler Austin, Rafael Depaula (not sure if there is a big enough prospect here to make it happen)

And actually, that is all that I can see even being feasible. Unless someone is packaging 6-7 prospects. I would think the Rays are looking for a top 8-10 prospect with 1-2 more top 75 guys in the deal, and every other team I could see having those players to offer are either in re-build mode or don't have the cash to do so.

So, what trade scenarios do you see out there?

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
The Cardinals certainly have the arms to get a deal done, but it would be predicated on Price being willing to sign a new contract for a reasonable amount.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
The Cardinals certainly have the arms to get a deal done, but it would be predicated on Price being willing to sign a new contract for a reasonable amount.

I personally didn't include them, as I don't think they NEED to make the deal. They have great arms already in the rotation along with in the bullpen that can start sooner rather than later. I don't think they will give up Joe Kelly, Carlos Martinez, and a Bat for Price and pay the salary on top of that.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Rangers - Jurickson Profar + Luke Jackson
As a Rangers fan, I would love that.
The Rangers are already set at 2nd, 3rd and shortstop, and even if Profar turns out to be a star, his value will be nowhere as much as Price, one of the AL's top 5 starting pitchers.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
Since we are spitballing here, how about the Braves with a package featuring Teheran? Atlanta needs a big time ace to go up against the other National League powers. Price gives them that guy, and he's a Tennessee boy, so he'd be going back near home. Rays can immediately plug Teheran into the rotation to take Price's place.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Curious how the OP, a known Cubs fan, didn't envision any scenarios in which Price goes to the friendly confines. No faith in Theo? ;)

As a Rays fan, I'd be happy with one of their "Big 3" (Baez, Almora and Soler), plus a couple of mid-tier guys, such as Pierce Johnson, C.J. Edwards, Dan Vogelbach or Arismendy Alcantara.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Curious how the OP, a known Cubs fan, didn't envision any scenarios in which Price goes to the friendly confines. No faith in Theo? ;)

As a Rays fan, I'd be happy with one of their "Big 3" (Baez, Almora and Soler), plus a couple of mid-tier guys, such as Pierce Johnson, C.J. Edwards, Dan Vogelbach or Arismendy Alcantara.

I do have faith in theo, I personally don't think he is ready to trade off any young assets. I could absolutely be wrong, but that is just my opinion.

ben.z2010

Jan 17, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
I do have faith in theo, I personally don't think he is ready to trade off any young assets. I could absolutely be wrong, but that is just my opinion.

As a cubs fan, I hope you're right. It doesn't make much sense for the cubs to be trading of prospects right now. I know the cubs have been mentioned as a potential landing spot for price, but for me it's just not logical. They may attempt a trade like this in a year or 2, but not yet.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
When was the last time a team dealt a frontline starting pitching prospect for another star pitcher who was near the end of his contract? Seriously, I'm asking. Drawing blanks here.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
When was the last time a team dealt a frontline starting pitching prospect for another star pitcher who was near the end of his contract? Seriously, I'm asking. Drawing blanks here.

Agreed, thus I was looking for deals that would include top 10 position player prospect, from a team that is close enough to winning that it makes sense. Really, there aren't many things that make sense, to me anyways....

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana

I agree, the Cubs are not close enough right now to be trading away the prospects we have been trying to hoard for an ace arm right now.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I personally didn't include them, as I don't think they NEED to make the deal. They have great arms already in the rotation along with in the bullpen that can start sooner rather than later. I don't think they will give up Joe Kelly, Carlos Martinez, and a Bat for Price and pay the salary on top of that.

I agree with this, rotation is deep as it is, plus Garcia will be back next year too.There are bigger needs to address.

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
Since we are spitballing here, how about the Braves with a package featuring Teheran? Atlanta needs a big time ace to go up against the other National League powers. Price gives them that guy, and he's a Tennessee boy, so he'd be going back near home. Rays can immediately plug Teheran into the rotation to take Price's place.

Nah but we'll give you Maholm and the contracts formerly known as BJ Upton and Dan Uggla for Price and Myers. Seems fair.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
As a Yankee fan I would be head over heels to trade those for trade scenarios. David Price would be an incredible boost to our team. But I wouldn't expect the Yanks to be able to trade because 1) Its in the division. 2) They don't have any one major league ready besides Nova and I'm sure the Rays wouldn't want him lol. If they offered Williams, Sanchez, Heathcott, Banuelos, Austin and maybe Culver or another PTBNL then they could get it done. But they need to chill. Mason and Sanchez will be starters in the future and Banuelos will be a back end starter or very good reliever.

21ccl

Aug 26, 2012
There is option for the Braves even through it may not happen. The Braves need an ace and David Price is one of the Braves targets. Dan Uggla and even B.J Upton could be In a trade.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
There is option for the Braves even through it may not happen. The Braves need an ace and David Price is one of the Braves targets. Dan Uggla and even B.J Upton could be In a trade.

Why would the Rays trade the BEST trade chip on the market, for two TERRIBLE, Overpriced, Aging veterans? They will get back young, cheap, controllable players, without question.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Why would the Rays trade the BEST trade chip on the market, for two TERRIBLE, Overpriced, Aging veterans? They will get back young, cheap, controllable players, without question.

This. Nothing short of Teheran, Sims, Bethancourt and a lower-tier prospect would be acceptable to me if it were my decision.

Sent from my XT907 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL

If the Barves are going to do that deal, they need to also get Ben Zobrist to play second base and Wil Myers for the outfield. As mentioned earlier, they should send Paul Maholm to Tampa to make it fair. Heck, they should also throw in a prospect outside of their top 20 in exchange for Matt Moore.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts