Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

(Maybe a) stupid question: Does anyone read the long posts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I know this is probably a stupid question, but I wanted to know.

Every now and then someone asks a question, and trying to be helpful I end up posting. Often the posts are rather long as they attempt to try to answer a complicated question (often the OP may not have realized just how complicated.)

The posts take a decent amount of time to make, and I guess I'm wondering, does anyone read the posts? Does anyone read anything longer than 3 lines on a message boards at all?

Kind of a stupid self-indulgent question, but I was just wondering if there was any reason for taking the time to make the posts. I like being helpful, but have no reason to waste time if that's all it is.

A recent example in case anyone is wondering what I am talking about (it's the last post on the page.)

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33983&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I got about this far into into the text of a thread that's on the main page now before I lost interest............

Reading this mornings fan comments on Mets and Yankees articles on their websites has just made me realize, more than I did before, how stupid and pessimistic some people are. They sum up all of the teams problems in one sentence per player and call it the day. They dwell on the negative and spread the panic;

And I didn't even read anything in this thread except for the title and surmised that this is what this thread is about.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
I actually think this a really good question, and I would like to know myself what others think.

From time to time I also have questions/answers that take more than a few words to explain.

IMHO, if the topic is relavent/interesting, it doesn't matter how long the post is.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
I do read the long post's.. I try and give the writer the respect by reading it and hopefully it's thought out and well written.

Your post's are always a good read..

Thanks,

wideright

Aug 7, 2008
I do. And to be honest, I have to tailor my posts/responses to the subject matter, and if it appears there are others in the general convo that are making long posts as well then I know they are probably spending the time to read them.

But I do think that a high % of long posts do not get read through completely. Case in point, Sam's post above. Not slamming you, Sam, it just is what it is. This is an AIM and txt message dominant world we live in! :lol: I even get this a lot from my customers and I wonder if I overdo my emails sometimes. I'll type a long email that seems to have very relevant info pertaining to a project, and get a 5 word response! :shock: Makes me wonder if they read it at all.

nurvanna

Feb 18, 2009
phoenix, az
Pinbreaker said:
I do read the long post's.. I try and give the writer the respect by reading it and hopefully it's thought out and well written.

same here.

wideright said:
I do. And to be honest, I have to tailor my posts/responses to the subject matter, and if it appears there are others in the general convo that are making long posts as well then I know they are probably spending the time to read them.
I overdo my emails sometimes. I'll type a long email that seems to have very relevant info pertaining to a project, and get a 5 word response! :shock: Makes me wonder if they read it at all.

my sentiments as well

depending upon the topic, i'll speed read through the longer responses. long, well thought out responses sometimes offer insight - about the person writing as well as the subject. so yeah, i don't mind long posts. sometimes i write a lot myself.

case in point, last response:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=30593&start=45

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
MOFNY said:
If it interests me.

that, or if it's in response to a question or post I've made in a topic. Especially if it's an "arguement" thread; you can't post much of an arguement if you ignore large parts of someone's reply post.

The only time I don't read them is if A) they involve a response to an issue of no concern to me (e.g. talking about a certain player I don't care about in a topic about multiple players) or B) if they are part of a BIG back-and-forth between a few people in an arguement thread that I'm trying to get the entire gist of.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
To me it depends on two things...the topic and the author.

If either of those two trigger some interest (be it positive or negative), I'll read it.

One thing I will not read is 20+ lines without a paragraph break.

Craig - 21hawk

Aug 7, 2008
St. Paul, MN
200lbhockeyplayer said:

If either of those two trigger some interest (be it positive or negative), I'll read it.

Ditto. On the issue of the paragraph break, though, that also goes to the author. If a poster clearly has no idea what a paragraph is I tend to start avoiding their longer posts. It's just too much.

Craig

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
It depends on what the topic is discussing and how informative the post appears to be.

I might not read it "word for word", but if the post is well-written and informative I will likely read it..

KC37

Aug 7, 2008
Massachusetts
Craig - 21hawk said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:

Ditto. On the issue of the paragraph break, though, that also goes to the author. If a poster clearly has no idea what a paragraph is I tend to start avoiding their longer posts. It's just too much.

Craig

All hail the king and his wisdom - to agree with 200lb's wisdom.
(I agree with this, too)

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
If I'm reading the thread then I'm most likely interested in the subject (as I'll completely skip over thread's that I have no interest in or do not concern me), so I usually read each & every response that way I fully understand the flow & subject matter/relevance of the post's inside. Your post's are some of the most thought out & although I do not always agree, I do always read word for word so I can grasp your take on the subject & try to get a better understanding of where you're coming from (your stance, etc.)...this goes for every post I read though (even those that are not as organized & thought out as your's)! :D I've noticed some member's having a "pet peeve" with structure, spelling, punctuation & the like; though I'm not one of these user's as it really doesn't bother me since I can usually decipher the meaning regardless.
Great subject once again bud! :D

Members online