Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What do you expect from Prince Fielder going forward?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
It's at times like this, when the focus of baseball is all elsewhere, when I like to consider some of the players who may be sliding under the radar at the moment.

One guy I've been thinking about is Prince Fielder. He's a 5 time All-Star (in 8 seasons) with 285 homers and an OPS+ of 141. He never misses a game, and plays for one of the best teams in baseball. Along with Miggy he comprises arguably the most fearsome middle of the line-up in baseball.

This season though, was a serious down year. After 2 great years he went just .279/25/106. One thing about the season was that he was going through a divorce, something that I've read really wore on him. He's not quite 30 yet and is signed for 6 more years, but one wonders whether his body will break down early due to his weight like Mo Vaughn did (although Vaughn missed time throughout his career so it may be an unfair comparison.)

When it comes to hitting Fielder's numbers are in line with HOFers like Eddie Murray. Before 30 and he already has 285 homers, 980 RBI's and over 1300 hits, meaning that if he can play until he is close to 40, he could hit some serious milestones.

How do you think his career plays out? I definitely could see him bouncing back and having a few more really great seasons although I wonder whether he will hold up to reach the big milestones. He averages 35 homers a year (though it's been lower the last few years). At that pace he could reach 500 homers by age 35, although more reasonable would be 36-37.

I figured he's worth a shot at recessed prices and picked this card below up for $215, less than raw's were getting not all that long ago. I think he's worth a flyer at current prices. What do you think of him both as a player and as far as his cards?

$(KGrHqZ,!qgE-y+Ppm)yBP3R6DE0T!~~60_57.JPG

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I think people, especially around Detroit, are freaking out a little too hard on Prince Fielder. I expect him to be an all-star calibre player for years and eventually make the HOF as I believe he hits 500 HR's.

The guy was an all-star, drove in 100, increased his doubles total, and didn't have a dramatic shift in BB's to K's. It's just a down power-year. It'll come back.

dbacksfan4life

Aug 21, 2013
Arizona
Come on he drove in over 100 runs. But seriously he will gain about 50-75 more pounds and will be moved from 1B to DH because he is to big to field. He just needs to take a whole year off and work on his weight.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
His play in the playoffs turned me off of him a LOT. That was just pitiful. But yeah, the card is a great investment for next season when he rakes for a month and everyone forgets about his abomination of a playoff performance. It once sold for nearly $1,500, so it was steal at that price. That guy had it listed many different ways and prices for a long time until he said screw it, $.99 starting bid and let it go. Good time to buy. I bid, but only at even more of a steal price.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
From the images I saw he looked bigger this season than in the past. No way to know if that was due to the challenges related to the divorce or other reasons...

Members online

Latest posts