Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2014 Archives Set to Salute Major League

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
Kind of fitting, considering my Major League post from last week :D

2014 Topps Archives Preview | Sports Collectors Daily | Sports collecting news

14TABB_JackTaylor_F.jpg

We won’t know how the product sells until late next spring at the earliest, but we do know that 2014 Topps Archives baseball will again bring its share of quirkiness to the table. When it arrives right around Memorial Day, Archives will come eight cards per pack with 24 packs per box and ten boxes to a case. Each hobby box will hold two autographs.

Next year’s issue will again utilize Topps designs from the past while tossing some kisses to the classic baseball motion picture Major League and the 1979 cult action thriller The Warriors.

Case loaders include original Topps player contracts similar to those sold in the Topps Vault eBay auctions.

The 2014 Topps Archives base set will consist of 250 cards, with the last 50 being short prints and the checklist including current stars, retired stars and top rookies. There will be four different vintage Topps set designed used in the base set:

• 50 cards (1973 Topps Design) #’d 1 – 50

• 50 cards (1986 Topps Design) #’d 51 – 100

• 50 cards (1989 Topps Design) #’d 101 – 150

• 50 cards (1980 Topps Design) #’d 151 – 200

• 50 Short Printed Base Cards #’d 201 – 250

Hobby only parallel cards include:

• Archives Gold #’d to 199

• Archives Silver #’d to 99

• Base Card Printing Plates

The Fan Favorites Autographs return and will feature current stars and retired legends for the first time in addition to famous names from the past.

There will be insert cards and autographed cards to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the classic baseball movie, Major League. Aside from commemorative cards, which will have a series of low numbered parallels, actors from the motion picture will sign a limited number of autographs. It’s not yet known which stars have contracted to sign, although Tom Berenger (Jack Taylor) and Corbin Bernsen (Roger Dorn) are pictured in promotional literature.

Topps put “Jack” Taylor on Berenger’s card in its early promo materials rather than “Jake”, which was his character in the movie. One would assume the correction will be made before Archives arrives.

Fan Favorites Autographs will now have five parallels, ranging from 1/1 Ruby Red and Printing Plates to Silver bordered cards numbered to 25. Ruby Red and Silver parallels will be hobby only.

On the Topps Original Autographs, stars will sign copies of a vintage card, which will be sequentially numbered to 10 and include a Topps Originals foil-stamped logo. There will also be Triple Autographs and pop culture stars autographs.

Archives is known for being all over the place with its throwback designs and 2014 will be no exception. They’ll be reproducing everything from the 1997 Stadium Club Firebrand die-cut design using past and present players (hobby only), to 1971-72 Topps hockey designs, 1987 Topps All-Star designs with autographs numbered to just 5 and 1969 Topps Deckle minis (also hobby only).

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
I love Archives and I think the changes this year will be beneficial. BUT, I refuse to preorder cases again. Price drops like a stone pretty quickly without much loss in terms of single card sales prices due to the nature of the set. People take a long time to build that auto set and the base sets do well even a year later. Learned my lesson this year on that one.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
Also, what the hell does this mean:

will feature current stars and retired legends for the first time in addition to famous names from the past

How is this any different than the past however many years? I guess "current" stars is new, but the wording means retired legends for the first time as well?

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Also, what the hell does this mean:
"will feature current stars and retired legends for the first time in addition to famous names from the past"

I take it to mean there will be more current stars and retired legends who will be having their first (or first in a long time) certified auto cards. Considering that it's a fan favorites checklist (instead of a hot hobby favorites checklist), many of these stars and retired stars are loved by longtime fans of a particular team but don't or didn't get national hobby love.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
I take it to mean there will be more current stars and retired legends who will be having their first (or first in a long time) certified auto cards. Considering that it's a fan favorites checklist (instead of a hot hobby favorites checklist), many of these stars and retired stars are loved by longtime fans of a particular team but don't or didn't get national hobby love.

I see, a "new crop" of retired legends. Someone dangled a modifier.

Can't wait to see Andy Hawkins, Johnny LeMaster, and Milt Wilcox get autos.

gpenko826

Feb 15, 2011
....and why use 1980 again? They just used it in 2012! Of the four designs, 3 are from the 80's. That's stupid.

I thought that too, but then I realized Topps has kind of canibalized itself with Archives. They've already used every design from 1952 to 1965, so those are all out of play. 1971 and 1972 just got used as inserts in 2013 Topps, and 1970 is just plain boring.

I wish they would have used 1978 - I've always had a soft spot for that one...

SteelBrad

Mar 2, 2013
I thought that too, but then I realized Topps has kind of canibalized itself with Archives. They've already used every design from 1952 to 1965, so those are all out of play. 1971 and 1972 just got used as inserts in 2013 Topps, and 1970 is just plain boring.

I wish they would have used 1978 - I've always had a soft spot for that one...

Agreed. '78 is beautiful

Sportsnutcards

May 4, 2009
Belmar, NJ
I used to love Topps Archives, but I am not pre-ordering this one until I see a checklist or more pictures. The last few times they have tried archives and similar products there were not enough mid-level autographs to make the product work.

DiebytheCubs

Dec 2, 2012
Chicago suburbs/Ohio
Archives strongest point is the inserts. The base are cool, but there are so many retro sets now it kind of gets lost in the mix. I was kind of disappointed with last year's set but I think the Major League insert set is a really cool idea. I've also heard they're doing inserts from the "The Warriors" too

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
I used to love Topps Archives, but I am not pre-ordering this one until I see a checklist or more pictures. The last few times they have tried archives and similar products there were not enough mid-level autographs to make the product work.
Agreed on the auto problem. Even 2012 had a much stronger auto set with Darvish, Will Clark, and Mattingly in the FFA list. 2013 was terribly weak for resale, though if you were into those role players/minor stars that was cool for you on the resale market. But from a busting standpoint, awful.

And I too would love '78 or even '79 as one of the designs. You really can't explain 3 of 4 from the 80's.

Members online

Latest posts