Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How do Sub Bumps work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trademhigh

Aug 10, 2008
Sent in my Wieters Elite and it got a 9 with 2 9.5s and 2 9s. I'll get a scan up shortly, but how do sub bumps work, and do you think it's worth it to resubmit?

JG

rainmanesq

Aug 31, 2008
Re: How to Sub Bumps work?

basically u resub the card to bgs (in the slab) + ask them to review/sub bump it- sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. Sub bumping tends to work more often @ shows.

trademhigh

Aug 10, 2008

rainmanesq said:
basically u resub the card to bgs (in the slab) + ask them to review/sub bump it- sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. Sub bumping tends to work more often @ shows.
Damn. I should have gone to the Hempstead show like I planned too bad bgs won't be at the WP Show. Do you think most cards have a decent shot at being bumped up by .5?

JG

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008

rainmanesq said:
What you can do that when the card is in the slab??

That is rediculous, how does the cards grade improve when it's in the slab??

pjnprospects

Aug 7, 2008
I just attempted my first sum bump at the Hofstra show. It is a 9.5 w/ two 10's and two 9.5's, so I doubt it gets bumped. But I hear 9's tend to have a solid chance at 9.5

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
I recently bought an orange ref that had 2 9s and 2 9.5s...I cracked the thing open and noticed something was on the surface (one of the 9s) I clean it off nicely and submitted it like any other card. I get the grade back tomorrow, I will keep you posted. :lol:

rainmanesq

Aug 31, 2008

trademhigh said:
rainmanesq said:
Damn. I should have gone to the Hempstead show like I planned too bad bgs won't be at the WP Show. Do you think most cards have a decent shot at being bumped up by .5?

JG

depends what the issue is- centering, edges, corners, surface? Surface defects and edges defects (esp on ee b/c white chips show) tend to be harder to subbump, but if it’s say centering or corners + the card looks VERY clean, it’s worth a try

rainmanesq

Aug 31, 2008

scotty21690 said:
rainmanesq said:

I don’t make the rules; that’s just how bgs does it...as does psa. Same w/’crossovers’ + ‘graded card reviews’.

DRav87

Aug 11, 2008
Wisconsin

scotty21690 said:

Thats what I was thinking. I can understand if you crack it out.

trademhigh

Aug 10, 2008
Now, a better question. Am I better off keeping it in the slab, or cracking it to resub?
Edges and corners were the 9s.

rainmanesq

Aug 31, 2008

Reds in 2009 said:
scotty21690 said:

Thats what I was thinking. I can understand if you crack it out.

Actually, if you take a loupe (10x or 30x is even better) through a clean bgs case (e.g., not 1 that’s been scratched up from here til tomorrow), you can see pretty well. BGS also examines cards through high intensity light so assuming the case is clean, you can decide whether something’s worth a subbump. Things like corner defects are pretty easy to see even to the naked eye- as are edge defects like on ee/07 bcdp.

From watching other people try to subbump until the cows come home, it seems like it is less successful than it used to be. However, it also seems like more and more people are trying it. I heard the 01 bc pujols ref au was subbed for subbumping something like 25 different times. Ah grading- it’s a crazy game out there kids. I won’t even go into how many times I’ve seen 8.5 rcrs become 9.5 or 10 rcrs the next day. It’s far more subjective than you think.

rainmanesq

Aug 31, 2008
trademhigh said:
Now, a better question. Am I better off keeping it in the slab, or cracking it to resub?

Crack it out and your 9 can become an 8.5 if you get a harsh grader- or your high 9/borderline 9.5 can become a low 9 (all 9s). Personally I’d keep it in the holder + try to sub bump @ a show.

However, edges/corners are notoriously problem areas for ee/bgs seems to be pretty harsh on these, so a subbump may not happen.

trademhigh

Aug 10, 2008
rainmanesq said:
trademhigh said:

Crack it out and your 9 can become an 8.5 if you get a harsh grader- or your high 9/borderline 9.5 can become a low 9 (all 9s). Personally I’d keep it in the holder + try to sub bump @ a show.

However, edges/corners are notoriously problem areas for ee/bgs seems to be pretty harsh on these, so a subbump may not happen.
Thanks for the tips! If you were me, would you take a decent offer on it now, or hold and try the sub bump, first?

JG

rainmanesq

Aug 31, 2008
trademhigh said:
rainmanesq said:
trademhigh said:

Thanks for the tips! If you were me, would you take a decent offer on it now, or hold and try the sub bump, first?

JG

his cards are nuts right now, so i imagine you can get a really good offer now...which i'd prob take if i had a minimal amt in the card. however, if you have a show near you say next weekend (or 2), i'd try sub bumping. bgs will tell you right there if it will bump- but then you have to wait for them to encase it in tx, so unless his cards keep rising, you may miss out on some cash. then again, if he pulls a ryan braun AND you get the sub bump, that can be good coin.

Members online

Latest posts