Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MLB may help A's play in S.F. if no deal - sources

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
Sure, this is almost a week old, but just in case those out of the Bay Area havent heard...

628x471.jpg

Major League Baseball would help the Oakland A's move across the bay and play at rival Giants' AT&T Park in San Francisco if Coliseum officials don't come to terms on a new short-term lease for the team, sources tell us.

The A's two-year home stint at AT&T Park, which would start next season, would probably be the first step toward moving the team out of the Bay Area.

The league's hardball warning was passed on to Coliseum officials at a closed-door meeting by Jon Streeter, the San Francisco attorney who is representing the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Authority in the stadium lease negotiations.

We're told MLB is also demanding that the Coliseum give the A's just a two-year lease extension - not the five- to eight-year deal the authority has been pushing.

The short-term lease would give the A's more flexibility should the team's owners swing a deal to move to San Jose - or beyond.

The sticking point in the Coliseum negotiations hasn't been the length of the lease so much as the money from food and beverage concessions. Under their old lease, the A's managed the concessions for all sporting events at the stadium, including for the Raiders, and they got a major share of the revenue - terms the Coliseum Authority wants to change in its favor.

The talks have dragged on for more than two years. Now, however, the Coliseum's governing board - which includes two Oakland City Council members and two Alameda County supervisors - is definitely feeling the heat.

"Now we have to do this lease quickly because Major League Baseball has injected itself into the conversations," said one board member, who like our other sources asked not to be named because of the sensitivity of the talks.

The A's front office did not return calls seeking comment.

The usually talkative Giants President Larry Baer - whose team would have to give its consent to sharing AT&T Park - declined to comment. So did an MLB spokesman.

Why would the Giants give their OK? Start with the rent money - probably enough to pay for a shortstop or two.

But even better from the Giants' perspective, it could lead to the team getting the whole Bay Area market to itself.

With MLB standing in the way of an A's move to San Jose, which the Giants claim as their market, team owners John Fisher and Lew Wolff would be expected to look elsewhere if they leave the Coliseum for temporary digs - or perhaps sell the team to out-of-towners.

For all the brinkmanship, a temporary move across the bay would not be easy. For starters, the Giants and A's have home games on the same dates nine times next season.

MLB's threat to the Coliseum, however, could be a game changer in the lease talks - with the A's the likely winners.

As one Coliseum official told us, "We don't have any choice. Major League Baseball is driving it."

By the way, it looks like the restless Raiders will also get a new lease at the Coliseum - only they've asked to go year to year.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/matier-ross/article/MLB-may-help-A-s-play-in-S-F-if-no-deal-sources-4952005.php?cmpid=twitter

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
I live in Santa Cruz, and if the A's moved to San Jose, that would make them just a half hour away (if traffic is nice), instead of 90 minutes to two hours away for San Francisco. Sure, San Jose is the Giants area, but I wouldnt mind the A's closer at all.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
So all the Giants fans in SJ would suddely jump ship and become Athletics fans if they got a new stadium there?Surely they have more loyalty than that?

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
The Giants only have territorial rights in San Jose because the A's gave it to them 20 years ago when their **** owner at the time was threatening to move the team to Tampa Bay. So they've got a lot of nerve blocking the A's from moving to San Jose.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
So all the Giants fans in SJ would suddely jump ship and become Athletics fans if they got a new stadium there?Surely they have more loyalty than that?

No but if they had a shorter drive & less expensive ticket prices to go to A's games they might lose a lot of ticket sales to the casual fan. But the way I look at it even if they lose some I don't see them having a problem selling out the stadium. I say let the A's go were they please, they deserve out of that hell hole of a stadium.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
No but if they had a shorter drive & less expensive ticket prices to go to A's games they might lose a lot of ticket sales to the casual fan. But the way I look at it even if they lose some I don't see them having a problem selling out the stadium. I say let the A's go were they please, they deserve out of that hell hole of a stadium.

No kidding, every Giants game on TV I see there are numerous Giants fans watching through that fence in
the RF wall.So, would the Raiders still be stuck in that dump then or go to LA?

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
No kidding, every Giants game on TV I see there are numerous Giants fans watching through that fence in
the RF wall.So, would the Raiders still be stuck in that dump then or go to LA?

I would hope they would build a new one eventually or at least renovate that dump.

kryslarry

May 19, 2010
Nor-Cal
I loved going to the coliseum before the Raiders came "home". It was a great baseball stadium before Al Davis got his mitts on it and turned it into a frankenstadium. It is not a football stadium, the turf is ruined every Monday after the Raiders play and what used to be one of the best fields in baseball is torn up in August and doesn't come back until spring training. Now I refuse to go to that stadium on principle. I love the Giants stadium, it is beautiful, fan friendly and just a great place to see a game. If the A's played there, I would go much more often.

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
If the Giants give SJ to the A's, I hope the Giants get West Sacramento in return. That way the A's move to SJ and find somewhere else for their AAA team to play, and the Giants can ship their A level team over to West Sac.

I live close to Sacramento, and would absolutely LOVE for a Giants farm team to be close by.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I loved going to the coliseum before the Raiders came "home". It was a great baseball stadium before Al Davis got his mitts on it and turned it into a frankenstadium. It is not a football stadium, the turf is ruined every Monday after the Raiders play and what used to be one of the best fields in baseball is torn up in August and doesn't come back until spring training. Now I refuse to go to that stadium on principle. I love the Giants stadium, it is beautiful, fan friendly and just a great place to see a game. If the A's played there, I would go much more often.

Sadly, it just doesn't seem like the Raiders can do anything right anymore.What average QB will
torch them for 7 TD's next?I wish Davis was still alive so I could watch another comical press conference firing yet another coach every year.

Members online