Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Question to the autograph seekers on the boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
What type of silver sharpie do you guys like to use on photos. I see a bunch of different ones to buy. I never used a silver one before. Any help will be appreciated

Bogeysave82

Jan 16, 2013
For me the silver sharpie itself is hit or miss and more misses than anything. I started playing with paint pens but haven't found one I like. I will say the bronze sharpie works really well. Idk if that helps lol good luck

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
My silver metallic sharpie worked great on photos, cd booklets, and concert tshirts.

for example:
$T2eC16RHJGsFFMnFqS5OBScEhB5qI!~~60_57.JPG

$T2eC16JHJGEFFmuJs6oLBScEUm5hFw~~60_57.JPG

$T2eC16R,!zQFIb2j+C4IBScElhjNQQ~~60_57.JPG

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
I'd stay away from silver sharpies. Like others have said they are so hit or miss (usually a miss) it's not worth the chance. I'd suggest a silver deco paint pen. You can buy them at art supply stores like Michael's. You just need to be sure to prep them first. Shake well right before use, and lightly dab the tip on something else to get the paint flowing. If it's someone who signs really really fast, you might be screwed either way because a good chance anything you use will streak. That's rare though. Here's some different examples of what I've used and how they look.

Willie Mays 16x20 silver deco
Willie Mays auto.JPG

Jason Heyward 16x20 and bat silver deco
Jason Heyward 16x20.JPG

Jason Heyward bat.JPG

Carlos Correa mini silver deco
Carlos Correa mini helmet.JPG

Renato Nunez bat silver deco
Renato Nunez bat 1.JPG

This is a Junior Lake 8x10 I got signed in silver sharpie and it turned out real nice. I bought the sharpie that day and didn't open it until the minute he was going to sign it and that was the only time I used that sharpie.
Junior Lake 8x10 2.jpg

This is an example about someone signing really really fast and what it looks like compared to the others. Same exact pen as the Nunez/Correa/Mays but Frank Thomas signs his name in about .2 seconds flat resulting in the paint not having enough time to flow properly.
Frank Thomas 8x10.jpg

Last edited:

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
I'd stay away from silver sharpies. Like others have said they are so hit or miss (usually a miss) it's not worth the chance. I'd suggest a silver deco paint pen.

This is an example about someone signing really really fast and what it looks like compared to the others. Same exact pen as the Nunez/Correa/Mays but Frank Thomas signs his name in about .2 seconds flat resulting in the paint not having enough time to flow properly.
Frank Thomas 8x10.jpg

So The silver sharpie should have been used for Thomas?

ive had one silver sharpie. Bought it the day i was meeting Trivium for the first time. Ever since, i have brought that pen with me to all of my autograph possibilities. Lets see...

trivium 8x10
magazine cover
shirt
record
3 more 8x10s
311 cd booklet
airbourne poster
airbourne cd booklet
black tide cd booklet
taking dawn cd booklet

Halestorm and Megadeth used their own pens, otherwise my sharpie would have been used by them as well. Most of the stuff i have to get signed is black, or dark in color. And most bands use a black sharpie for autos. Makes it really hard to see an auto. So i decided to get a silver sharpie and bring it with. Been good luck thus far.

i havent had any autograph chances at the ballpark with my silver sharpie, so i have no experience with signed bats and such.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
On the Thomas I should've used a different, lighter picture and then used blue but it was a chance I took that didn't work out. I don't think any silver paint pen/sharpie would work for him since he signs so fast. I'd say you've been very lucky with yours working that well and long.

Members online