Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1997 gold embossed refractors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spiderphill

Nov 11, 2013
Hey how's everyone doing? This is my first post here. I have a few cards I cannot seem to find the value on. So what better place to go than a sports card forum. I'm stictly a comic book guy, big into spider-man, hence spiderphill.

Here's the back story. In 1997 I was 11 years old putting together the 1997 finest series 1 with my father. It all started when we pulled a Mike Piazza embossed gold die cut refractor and we were hooked. Since the set was fairly hot at the time, our plan at the time was to buy boxes and trade anything we pull for something we needed. We ended up pulling a Griffey gold embossed refractor. We put it up for sale at our local hobby shop for 1,000$ and nobody purchased it and the cards went into the closet.

So I get a call from my dad someone offered him 500$ for the 1997 finest cards a couple weeks ago and he asked me if he could let them go. So I said I'll just give you the 500$, no reason to let the cards go since its something we put together.

So after doing research, I cannot find the value anywhere on these cards:

Gold embossed die cut refractors:
Piazza
Griffey Jr
Cruz Jr

Silver embossed refractors:
Mariano Rivera
Bobby Abreu

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Phill

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
Smart move to not sell. The last two Piazza's that sold went for $202 (PSA 9) and $250 (raw). The Griffey is the big ticket, no recent sales but you could probably double those Piazza numbers, AT LEAST. I'd say the Cruz still could fetch near $100.

I sold a Belle and Edmonds recently for about $125 each.

Last edited:

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
I own a near complete set and could use the Griffey. It is indeed a big card and worth more than $500.

I wish I knew the Edmonds and Belle were board member cards.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Welcome to the boards. Great set. Put some pictures up. You will find many of the members here collect cards from this set. As for me If you moving any of the Yankees PLMK

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Great set!
Scan_72.jpg

Spiderphill

Nov 11, 2013
Thanks for all the replies, going to hold onto the cards just for the sentimental value. Will post some pics though when I get them in hand.

saucywombat

Feb 4, 2010
Folly Beach, SC
Gold embossed die cut refractors:
Piazza - $150-200
Griffey Jr $700+
Cruz Jr - $125-200

Silver embossed refractors:
Mariano Rivera - $15-30
Bobby Abreu - $1-4

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Shop I go to has 1996 Finest boxes that tease me every time I walk in. 96 does not have the Gold Embossed correct?

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
You should check out the basketball version with embossed and die-cut refractors. Jordans are high 4, maybe 5 figures, Kobes are getting up there, other stars of the era sell for more each time, it seems to me, whenver I think of buying one.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
1997 was probably the first year since I was 5 that I bought zero cards. Oh to be a 16 again.

Totally missed out on the best late 90's stuff because of it.

Members online