Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Photo of the Day Tuesday November 12, 2013... Ruth and a Black Sox

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Today's photo of the day features a youthful Babe Ruth at Chicago's Comiskey Park being given a pitching lesson by none other than Chicago's Eddie "Knuckles" Cicotte. One wonders why Knuckles would be giving pitching tips to Ruth since it appears that by 1920, when this photo was taken Ruth's pitching career was done. Oddly enough, soon after this photo was taken Cicotte's career would also be done as he would be banned from baseball, along with seven of his team mates by the Commissioner of Baseball, Judge Landis. Wouldnt you like to be in this photo to hear what was actually being said?

I hope you enjoy todays photo of the day.

ruthandcicotteatcomiskey1920.jpg

mchenrycards

And since today is Tuesday we should have a Two-fer-Tuesday!!

This photo might have been taken at the same game as the one I posted above but this photo shows Babe Ruth and manager Miller Huggins argueing a call with the Hall of Fame umpire Tom Connelly working home plate that day. I am unsure who the player is that has his back to the camera but this might be a good time to point out that early on, players had no uniform numbers or names on their backs. Uniform numbers on the back became the norm in 1929 with the Indians and the Yankees leading the way for this innovation. Originally, players were numbered by the order in which they batted which is why we see Ruth with number 3 and Gehrig with number 4 and so on.

I hope you enjoy today's second photo as well.

ruthhugginsconnelyumpatcomiskey1020.jpg

mchenrycards

Love the old uni's but the one small thing I like is the belts, the buckle is on babes left hip.

Sent from my iPhone

The buckles on the side of the uniform was a common occurance among ballplayers of past era's. If you look at older photos many players did this and one can only assume it was easier to slide without injuring one's self witht he buckle on the side. I have never really investigated the actual reason for the side buckle but I do know most players did it back them and once again, can only assume they did it because of the sliding issue.

I am glad you guys like this thread. I enjoy posting these pictures and always hope everyone enjoys seeing them.

Members online

Latest posts