Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Greg Bird ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

longbomberz

Aug 11, 2008
Guessing that they don't see him continuing his performance at higher levels and the lists tend to value future performance and potential.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Guessing that they don't see him continuing his performance at higher levels and the lists tend to value future performance and potential.

Yes, I had assumed it was something of that nature also-- which leads to the question as to why this is the case.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
BA also shafted Bird.

So, the way people have tried to rationalize it is he is now a 1B and the bar is very high for 1B. Supposedly. Though look around the majors right now and tell me exactly how many superstar 1B there are.

Also, the argument about being blocked at 1B on the Yanks is not really valid. He's signed for 3 more seasons. Bird will enter 2014 in high A ball. So give him at least another year and a half to make the Show, then maybe gets regular duty in 2016, Teixeira's final year. He'll be 36.

And no one can rationalize the future performance knocks for me. In fact it should be mostly the opposite:
- hit 20 HRs on the season where his home park was one of the worst power parks in the minors
- not just HRs, but doubles too with 36
- second only to Joey Votto for walks in all of pro ball
- significant amount of K's were on called strikes, thanks to minor league low A ball umps
- no questions about attitude, unlike Mason Williams and Gary Sanchez (unfounded or not for those guys)

Someone should explain to me how Mayo has Bichette at #15 and a pitcher that had double hip surgery at #10 . Bichette HAD potential, but is chronically underperforming after repeated years at the same level as Bird (and has pretty terrible 3B defense, so don't give me a positional argument). Hensley, while I believe he'll be good, hasn't proven anything whatsoever.

Tell me how this slap-hitting minor league Yankee 1B turned out:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=mattin001don

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
I just don't believe in bird at all. I see a guy who is hiting power off rookie league pitchers. I expect his average to come down but his power to go up slightly.

And yes he is blocked at first base for now. Yeah maybe when tex is done he can get a chance but that's a ways a way.

I would put a 5% chance he ends up being an impact player on the Yankees. I strongly believe he will be traded either this deadline or next year.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
BA also shafted Bird.

So, the way people have tried to rationalize it is he is now a 1B and the bar is very high for 1B. Supposedly. Though look around the majors right now and tell me exactly how many superstar 1B there are.

Also, the argument about being blocked at 1B on the Yanks is not really valid. He's signed for 3 more seasons. Bird will enter 2014 in high A ball. So give him at least another year and a half to make the Show, then maybe gets regular duty in 2016, Teixeira's final year. He'll be 36.

And no one can rationalize the future performance knocks for me. In fact it should be mostly the opposite:
- hit 20 HRs on the season where his home park was one of the worst power parks in the minors
- significant amount of K's were on called strikes, thanks to minor league low A ball umps
- no questions about attitude, unlike Mason Williams and Gary Sanchez (unfounded or not for those guys)

Someone should explain to me how Mayo has Bichette at #15 and a pitcher that had double hip surgery at #10 . Bichette HAD potential, but is chronically underperforming after repeated years at the same level as Bird (and has pretty terrible 3B defense, so don't give me a positional argument). Hensley, while I believe he'll be good, hasn't proven anything whatsoever.

Your comparing Bird to Mattingly? Ooooookay buddy.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
BA also shafted Bird.

Mattingly hit for more average in A ball than Bird, but with not even half the HR in more AB and 48 less BB. Interesting. Mattingly was also 3 inches shorter and 60 lbs lighter!

I think Bird could emerge as a stud before long.

I think Hensley is strong and durable, assuming they get his mechanics in order.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
Mattingly hit for more average in A ball than Bird, but with not even half the HR in more AB and 48 less BB. Interesting. Mattingly was also 3 inches shorter and 60 lbs lighter!

I think Bird could emerge as a stud before long.

I think Hensley is strong and durable, assuming they get his mechanics in order.

Obviously the Mattingly comparison is for argument's sake, but here it is really to illustrate that numbers don't always directly translate.

I too think Hensley will develop and the hip thing was more corrective. Just funny to use that as an argument to put a completely unproven player at #10 and Bird nowhere on the list.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
I just don't believe in bird at all. I see a guy who is hiting power off rookie league pitchers. I expect his average to come down but his power to go up slightly.

And yes he is blocked at first base for now. Yeah maybe when tex is done he can get a chance but that's a ways a way.

I would put a 5% chance he ends up being an impact player on the Yankees. I strongly believe he will be traded either this deadline or next year.
None of what you said makes sense.
He hit the homers off the same level competition as he was. You don't believe in his power yet you think it will improve?
Yes, he's blocked at first RIGHT NOW. He won't be ready for a couple years. And then Teixeira and his wrist turn into a pumpkin.
The chance he gets traded is very slim. Low A guys are not top trade bait and you wouldn't throw him in as a 3rd piece unless you're getting a big player in return.

Basically, he is a big hitter in a position of not-to-distant future need.