Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Photo of the Day Wednesday November 13, 2013

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Today's photo of the day features Wrigley Field before it was Wrigley Field....let me explain.

The Federal league was an upstart league that was created to challenge both the American and National leagues of Major League Baseball. Many players were not happy with their current contract situation and how they were treated by their team owners and, when the Federal League was formed many players "jumped" to the new League. On of the teams that was created for this league was the Chicago Whales owned by Restauranteur Charlie Weeghman. Weeghman decided he wanted his team to play in a decent ball park dedicted to Whales baseball and built what was then known as Weeghman Park on the north side of Chicago. Weeghman had purchased the land for his new ball park from a group of Lutherans who used the grounds for a retreat area and school grounds.

The Federal League would eventually be dissolved and Weeghman was given the opportunity to buy the Cubs. He would eventually purchase the Cubs and moved them from their current West Side stadium to Weeghman Park where the team would continue to play until this day. Weeghman had financial issues in 1920 and sold his interest in the Cubs to one of his stockholders, William Wrigley and the rest would be history.

The photo below features a game at Weeghman Park where the Chicago Whales were playing an unknown opponent.

I hope you enjoy today's photo of the day.

whalesbeforewrigleystarted.jpg

mchenrycards

Love the history :)

Wrigley Field is also the last stadium that was used by the Federal League :)

You are correct. It is literally the last piece left of the Federal League. There is, of course memorabilia scattered among collections here and there but Wrigley is the last tangible piece left of that league.

mchenrycards

Besides Wrigley, what is left? Anything in the HOF?

There are many programs, photos and even uniforms in various collections across the country. The Hall of Fame has a good selection of Federal League items but there are few and far between. There are jerseys out there and one recently sold in a major auction house (pictured below). This jersey was from the Pittsburgh entry to the Federal League.

Item_11105_1_zps78939506.jpg

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
Made my first trip to Wrigley this past summer. I very much enjoyed the experience

mchenrycards

Made my first trip to Wrigley this past summer. I very much enjoyed the experience

Wrigley is a great place to see a game unless you are stuck behind one of those obstructed view seats that is located behind a pole!! The parking situation sucks but I consider it a part of the game experience, trying to find a spot that will not cost you an arm and a leg while being not too far from the park. I am a baseball traditionalist when it comes to Wrigley as this was the ball park my parents took me to starting in the late 60's and my workplace for seven years in the 80's. I initially didnt want to see any changes made to the old place because of the fact the park is dripping with history but I like the plans that are in place for the changes the owners want to make. The Park has to keep up with the times and although I am not happy about a huge video board going up I now it is better than the team leaving Wrigley or a full tear down and rebuild.

Speaking of the huge video board, when I worked for the team there were plans in place to erect a large scoreboard in the left field bleachers. At that time there was nothing but a catwalk for the workers to get to the bleachers and the scoreboard would have replaced the cat walk and the board would have been fully paid for by Budweiser in exchange for advertising. The team shot it down after giving it a good amount of consideration.

mchenrycards

Because it is a slow day at work I had a little time to do a bit more research on the West Side Grounds.

An interesting note is the West Side Grounds was the ball park where the Cubs won their last World Series in 1908.

The current location has the University of Illinois Medical Center as it's occupant.

The photo below was taken in 1916 and shows the Buffalo Bill Cody wild west show that spent some time at the old ball yard while staying in Chicago. The cool thing is the HUGE background that was erected in what would have been the outfield to give the spectators a feel for the wild west.

West_Side_Park_1916_zpsf912b6fc.jpg

The next photo is the historical marker that is located at the site today. The interesting thing is I had always heard the term "way out in left field" and it usually is attributed to a mental hospital being located near the left field wall of a sports stadium of that time but I had no clue it was associated with the West Side Grounds. I will have to see if there was indeed a mental hospital located beyond left field at that time.

West_Side_Park_4_zps77c5a7ed.jpg