Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Thoughts on Keith Law

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Ok, I admit, I'm biased because he seems to hate Alcides Escobar and goes out of his way to point out that he is overrated, even though Alcides has the love of most other prospect rankers.

now this (half way down).

He goes out of his way to give creedance to rumors about a player's suppossed "personal issues."

I mean, if your credibility gets called into question (which Law's does in endless chats, which he rarely acknowledges, just makes an ass-face remark); why do you report one-sided rumors?, in a chat session no less?

Anyone else?

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
He sounds like he wants to be the Jim Rome of nerdy baseball writers.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
Chat sessions = basically a venue to informally gossip and give opinions about subjects.

It isn't a column or a story or even an official blog post.

hive17 said:
Ok, I admit, I'm biased because he seems to hate Alcides Escobar and goes out of his way to point out that he is overrated, even though Alcides has the love of most other prospect rankers.

now this (half way down).

He goes out of his way to give creedance to rumors about a player's suppossed "personal issues."

I mean, if your credibility gets called into question (which Law's does in endless chats, which he rarely acknowledges, just makes an ass-face remark); why do you report one-sided rumors?, in a chat session no less?

Anyone else?

FortyFour

Aug 7, 2008
matchpenalty said:
What are the rumored personal issues with him?
Keith Law: He has abandoned his wife and infant daughter, gotten another woman in Venezuela pregnant, gotten in a car accident in Venezuela this winter (he was driving, his mistress was in the car), and so on. The Brewers have refused to comment, saying that it's a personal matter for the player (true), so bear in mind that what I'm getting is largely coming from Escobar's wife.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
boxbreaker44 said:
matchpenalty said:
What are the rumored personal issues with him?
Keith Law: He has abandoned his wife and infant daughter, gotten another woman in Venezuela pregnant, gotten in a car accident in Venezuela this winter (he was driving, his mistress was in the car), and so on. The Brewers have refused to comment, saying that it's a personal matter for the player (true), so bear in mind that what I'm getting is largely coming from Escobar's wife.

And as far as anyone knows, most of this is based on a letter that Escobar's wife sent to many news outlets looking for exposure and to put Alcides in a bad light.

I don't know what is true and what isn't. My point is, neither does Law; he's basically using this one-sided rumor as information to base his decisions on. It smacks of bias' and it appears that Law is all to happy to quote it as some sort of reasoning behind his unrationale theories on Escobar.

Adam G

Jan 25, 2009
It's not really surprising. I mean, I don't dislike K-Law, but I'm not a big fan of his either. All of is rankings and all of the stuff he says and writes is generally whatever people in the biz tell him. He's a hype guy, and he just passes on whatever info he gets. His rankings generally reflect that, and because of that he often leaves out guys that should get some cred simply b/c scouts don't rave about them, and he often ranks other guys way too high simply b/c some scout spent an hour raving about him and saying stuff like, "Best I've ever seen" or "Great tools" even if the numbers don't back it up.

The Escobar stuff is the same thing. He gets some hot piece of info, and wants to look like the guy with all the answers, so he says whatever he thinks is what people want to hear.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
While I'm not a big fan of Law, it's funny that people are saying he has no credibility. The man has more in depth experience than all of Baseball America's writers combined.

thefasterblade

Aug 8, 2008
To me Law tends to go out on limbs. When he hits he really hits, when he misses its usually bad.

One thing about him though, he doesn't follow the norm.

Members online

Latest posts