Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1979 Tradin' Cards..Anyone else seen or have any of these?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010

I seem to remember a player collector having on on a site or in a photo collection, Carl Yastrzemski if I remember correctly.

I also remember seeing an ad, maybe in baseball digest, describing these but I can't seem to find it now. I think they were a predecessor to the big league Cards that Jim Bouton produced.

I got this one at a card shop maybe 10 years ago. it was filed in the Sutton cards. Somewhat crude, but still semi-professional (border) looking, at least for the time.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Just did a quick search and found a bit more. looks like these were advertised on the back of the 1979 Hockey Sticker cards, maybe other places as well. in fact it does look like you could send in any photo and have a card made and thankfully some enterprising individuals made some MLB cards. i saw a link for a Munson card that sold, but no image. Then this Remy card that sold on ebay.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Def would not think there are multiples of any if they were made to order ? Also like you stated the fact any are MLB players is crazy. Why would they be on hockey stickers though if they were mail in?

Ryan

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
The Hockey sticker had the ad to obtain them on the back of the sticker card. Looks like Topps was partnering with them to have these cards made. As you can see, they were expecting people to send in their own pictures, not famous people. Topps did this later as well with a different issue (1980 or 81 I think) and then Bouton made it more commonplace.

Members online

Latest posts