Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why do most fans assume Ken Griffey, Jr. didn't use PEDs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I'm on the optimistic majority of fans who believe Ken Griffey, Jr. was clean his entire career.
But I also believed that about Alex Rodriguez and Rafael Palmeiro.

Griffey has never been linked to steroids, but everyone thought Arod was clean the first decade or so of his career.

Griffey's home run explosion in the '90s was just like the other power hitters, then he got hurt all the time like the other steroid users.

Is it because Griffey was so likeable and had the sweetest swing in baseball, that fans don't want to believe he used PEDs?

Or is it because, like Jim Thome, he's never been publically linked to steroids, so fans give him the benefit of the doubt, even though his immense power and injury history was just like players who used?

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
Pretty sure Thome used something.

Most of Griffey's injuries came from hitting walls or getting hit on the hand. Then he hurt his knee rounding the bases. I don't know if he used of not, but he always seemed above it. I think arod was using since hs. I remember seeing him live at an angels/rangers game and thought to myself, the way arod looked and ran, he looked like a cyborg/ machine, which confirmed my assumptions.

I remember a story about bonds talking to griff about using to keep up with sosa/mark and bonds acting like griffey didn't even want talk about it.

I think everyone wants to assume their guy was clean, but its a safer bet to assume some form was used at some point, for players going back to late 70's. Im pretty sure brian downing was using and reggie joined him when he came to cali. They were my guys.

budvandall

Mar 11, 2012
Myrtle Beach, SC
It is possible just like any other player from that era. I don't think he ever used. I don't think he played the game to try to break records or how much his next contract would be. He played the game because he loved it. A-rod started using because he wanted the big contracts and so forth. I think Raffy started using toward the end of his career to make it to the 3000/500 mark. JMO.

mancini79

Jul 9, 2010
This is the worst part of the PED era. Even the most stand up guys are viewed as suspicious, just because they were great.

Griffey has never been linked to any PED reports. Media loves drama and if Griffey's name was on any report, it would have made the news. Ken's numbers came during his prime years which isn't unusual for any superstar. As he aged, his numbers declined and so did his health. Indicative of a non PED user. So there is no on or off field evidence that he was a user. The guy played clean.

Being liked has nothing to do with this. McGwire was the most loved player when he went to Capitol Hill.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Might be worth seeing how his weight, etc. fluctuated throughout his career. I don't think he became a monster as for size or physique.

Look at Bonds, his head doubled in size :lol:

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Might be worth seeing how his weight, etc. fluctuated throughout his career. I don't think he became a monster as for size or physique.

Look at Bonds, his head doubled in size :lol:
Rafael Palmeiro didn't get big. Arod wasn't a monster.
It all depends on the type and amount of steroids used, along with HGH, which can increase head size and shape.
Lots of little guys, including skinny base stealers, have been busted for steroids.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Rafael Palmeiro didn't get big. Arod wasn't a monster.
It all depends on the type and amount of steroids used, along with HGH, which can increase head size and shape.
Lots of little guys, including skinny base stealers, have been busted for steroids.

Roger that. Well shows how much I know about steroids lol

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
From my fuzzy memory I think it was widely recognized that The Kid was allergic to the weight room.
That was always a myth perpetuated by Griffey and the media.

From Mariners trainer Rick Griffin:

"He always lifted weights; he said he didn't, but he did. He has a great gym in his house, and he has a very good personal instructor in his wife. They work out together."

Source: http://seattletimes.com/html/thehotstoneleague/2010515695_ken_griffey_jr_working_out_los.html

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Here is how I see it, there is 3 taboo levels to PED's. Each elevate in seriousness and ownership.

1. Warranted Speculation

This is the first level. Usually this accompanies any given player who has a host of superficial and unsubstantial claims and/or circumstantial evidence to support the speculative claims. The player would usually have a combination of such theories that include playing with known PED users, physical appearance changes associated with PED usage, abnormal statistics compared to 'usual' play and the mild but persistent conjecture showing up time to time asking the question "what if" simply because said player somewhat fits a preconceived notion of who they think may be using. Mind you, there is zero real tangible evidence and nothing in the way of fact. Having said that, it can make for interesting debate because as aforementioned circumstantial evidence.

2. Likely PED user

This is the player who like the 'warranted speculation' player has some circumstantial chatter, linked to known PED users, abnormal bulk & stats, but it also escalates to the next level with people singling him out and making claims as 'fact'. Although he may never have been caught (publicly or otherwise) using PED's and/or held accountable on the public stage, there is enough circumstantial evidence coupled with credible people stating as fact they 'know' he did it. the only thing holding his full blown public crucifixion is a positive test result, a public admission, or a federal panel of condemnation.

3. PED user

Someone who has been deemed a user through testing, admission, or overwhelming evidence (found guilty).

It is my contention that Ken Griffey Jr falls short of even level 1, and to that end is fruitless to even talk about.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
You know why I assume he didn't use? Because you have to believe in some of these guys. And Junior just had insane ability and was a ballplayer that just loved being out there. Let's not turn everyone into a suspect.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Griffey never had that MAJOR unbelievable spike in hrs like bautista, Anderson or bonds did.

But on the other hand, he very nearly had four straight seasons with 50 hrs during the steroid era.

But......he also had a truly beautiful swing, never was linked and was incredibly talented so really who knows

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Last edited:

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
He was pretty consistent throughout his career, just like Ruth or Teddy Ballgame. Some guys are just great.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online

Latest posts