Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Special Edition of the Photo of the Day......Camelot comes to an end!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
I know many on this board are too young to remember this day, 50 years ago. Heck, I wasn't even born on this day 50 years ago but the effects of the assination of President Kennedy have been carried forward all these many years by those who looked to him as the leader that would usher in a modern age in this country. The Kennedy Presidency brought about hope of a better future for all Americans during a time that would see the infant stages of the Vietnam war, Russan missles placed 90 miles off of the Florida Cost in Cuba and the Bay of Pigs invasion (look this one up for yourselves guys!!). Kennedy faced some tough challenges in his three years as President and many felt he was the calming influence in this country at that time.

50 years ago today, while in a Dallas, Texas President Kennedy was gunned down along with the hopes and dreams of many in this country. There are a number of conspiracy theories over who actually was responsible for this assination but those really no longer matter at this point. I stumbled across some pictures of that fate full November day and thought I would pos them both as a reminder and a history lesson for those who are too young to know what really happened. If anyone has memories of that day please feel free to post them.

What strikes me most is the total lack of security and how close the average citizen could get to their leader at that time. I aam aware that President Kennedy ordered his secret service to ride in a car behind him during the motercade and he also insisted on an open car but one would think there would be a huge contingent of Secret Service around him at all time.

Reflect back on this day and how different times were back then

President and Mrs. kennedy arriving at Loves Field, Dallas.

jfk1122_1_zps0fca21c4.jpg

The President and Mrs. Kennedy greeting well wishers on the ground at Loves Field.

jfk1122_6_zps95e6bc33.jpg

The Presidential motercade

jfk1122_5_zps67d43c5b.jpg

Presidential well wishers along the motorcade route drop for cover after hearing shots fired. In true Media form, cameramen taking photos of a family in their moment of terror!

jfk1122_4_zps188ed407.jpg

Judge Sarah T. Hughes administers the oath of office to then Vice President.....and now President Johnson while Mrs. Kennedy and others look on aboard Air Force One.

jfk1122_9_zpsdbc1508e.jpg

Military personel line the drive to the White House as President Kennedy's body is moved to Arlington Cemetary.

jfk1122_14_zpsb0c72572.jpg

Military honor guard move President Kennedy to his final resting place.

jfk1122_11_zps93839b94.jpg

Nate Colbert 17

Aug 10, 2008
Texas
The latest information (theory?) I have heard concerns President Kennedy's back brace. It states that he was unable to duck down after the first shot (like Connolly did) due to the back brace.

Political labels notwithstanding, he could have been a very good President.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I actually started a project where I wanted to get autos from people involved in that.

I was never able to find Clint Hill's address, but I did get James Leavelle. I want to find Bob Schieffer's auto next.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Was listening to a story on NPR today. Robert MacNeil, IIRC, a reporter on AF1 said drops of blood and flesh were still in Jackie's dress and on her arms and hands when LBJ was sworn in. I've seen that photo numerous times but never really looked at her before. IT certainly looks like a lot of distress on her face, being just a few hours after it happened. But LBJ calculated she should be standing next to him to legitimize the transfer of power so he specifically asked for her to be there.

HOFcollector

Nov 29, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
I am a huge Kennedy assassination buff, and I have studied the topic extensively. I am completely convinced that their was a conspiracy to assassinate the President. If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me, I wouldn't want to clog the thread when the focus should be on these iconic images.

Thank you for posting these OP!

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
I am a huge Kennedy assassination buff, and I have studied the topic extensively. I am completely convinced that their was a conspiracy to assassinate the President. If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me, I wouldn't want to clog the thread when the focus should be on these iconic images.

Thank you for posting these OP!

I do not doubt for a moment that there was a conspiracy to kill Kennedy. The only question is who were the conspiritors? There are so many different possibilities that one can go in any direction and reach a reasonable conclusion.

I am a huge history buff and felt I had to post these images today. It is important for those who were not alive during the '60's to know what happened and why. I certainly encourage anyone to do some investigating on their own as well as getting other's viewpoints. Thanks for posting HOF and all the others who looked at this thread.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
i'm very disappointed the pink dress won't be making an appearance in my lifetime. I enjoy looking at artifacts of historical significance, even if it's just on tv stories or newspaper photos.

Members online