Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Player Collector questions/opinions PSA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
First let me say this Site has rejovinated my intrest in the hobby. I collect just about anything Yankees but I do focus on certain Yankee players. I have what I consider an extensive collection of Paul O'neill. A few years ago I won an auction of 140+ different O'neill PSA graded cards. Only needing about 3 cards in the lot I still did it. The lot consists of 91 PSA 10s, 41 PSA 9s, a dozen 8s and 2 7s. Most of the cards are early 90s but there are a couple newer autos and G/U. My next plan is scan the collection. My questions are:

If the price was right would you have bought the lot?
Should I keep the lower grades in my collection over my non graded cards?
Do you guys scan the backs of the cards?
Do you keep them in photo bucket?
I'm sure I will need more answered as I go. Thanks in advance.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Welcome aboard and glad you have stayed around.

I always say collect your way and don't try to keep up with other collectors, you will go broke and lose focus.

First let me say this Site has rejovinated my intrest in the hobby. I collect just about anything Yankees but I do focus on certain Yankee players. I have what I consider an extensive collection of Paul O'neill. A few years ago I won an auction of 140+ different O'neill PSA graded cards. Only needing about 3 cards in the lot I still did it. The lot consists of 91 PSA 10s, 41 PSA 9s, a dozen 8s and 2 7s. Most of the cards are early 90s but there are a couple newer autos and G/U. My next plan is scan the collection. My questions are:

If the price was right would you have bought the lot? Depends on the price
Should I keep the lower grades in my collection over my non graded cards? If it were me, I wouldnt
Do you guys scan the backs of the cards? Always
Do you keep them in photo bucket? PiscaWeb

There you go :)

BenG76

May 15, 2013
Fancy Gap, VA

Sounds like a nice collection. That's a lot of 10's. There is a Basic and Master Registry set on the PSA registry site. It looks like one person is going after the Master set somewhat. They may need or want some of them if your selling. Then again with that collection you could pretty much start a nice registry set for yourself. I would have bought the collection as well if the price was right and I wanted to collect that person

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell

Glad your here some of your cards are beyond awesome. I would keep them i do scan to photobucket but not all of them. Like george said collect how you want

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
Thanks for the reply
"Should I keep the lower grades in my collection over my non graded cards? If it were me, I wouldnt"
I was thinking a PSA 8 incased card was better than the same card raw, no?

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
Joey, thanks for the compliment. I always have collected my way. I think my concern is if I start scanning should I be scanning that 1996 topps PSA 8 card for my collection or the raw one? Certainly if its a 9 or 10 then they stay but one being an 8 is still authentic and encased for protection.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
I never liked the updated Photobucket. Picassa or Flickr might be worth looking into, see which one provides more Gigabytes of space. I would scan backs as well, especially if you collect certain serial numbers. I would also put them into a registry, you'd probably have the #1 O'Neill registry with that many graded cards. For scans, I would scan the ungraded copy just to keep the sizes uniform, its an OCD thing for me, lol.

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
I was thinking a PSA 8 incased card was better than the same card raw, no?

Not really. Ungraded cards are considered nm/mt (psa 8) at minimum where most might grade 8.5 to 9. Don't get rid of ungraded cards just because they aren't graded. Some people don't even care much for graded anyway. My advice would be to look at your graded cards are get a feel for what defects cause what grades and develop your eye for condition.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
Joey, thanks for the compliment. I always have collected my way. I think my concern is if I start scanning should I be scanning that 1996 topps PSA 8 card for my collection or the raw one? Certainly if its a 9 or 10 then they stay but one being an 8 is still authentic and encased for protection.

I say keep them both. I have many dupes I hold til I get a upgrade. but then don't want to sell any of my bernies, so I just keep them.:D

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA

In a world where people collect differently from other people, i say take your own path that makes you happy with your collection. If it were Bagwell cards, i probably would not have bought the lot, unless the cards in it met my collection requirements. I personally am not collecting every graded Bagwell in existence, just looking for his PSA 10 rookie cards instead. Now, if that lot was the regular cost of the rookies i needed, and all the other cards were then extras, then sure. I would go for it, and then flip the ones i didnt need.

as for your lower graded, you may as well keep them. From what i have seen the lower graded cards dont move for more than ungraded anyways.

do i scan the backs... Gosh, back when i started scanning i wish i did. But now im over 3000 scans of the fronts and it would be such a chore to do the backs. I would have to have a wild thorn up my ass to actually pull the trigger and scan all my backs. I dont see it happening anytime soon.

photobucket is crap. I hate it. Even for my quick uploads of random stuff, its interface is utter garbage and i despise looking at other people collections or stuff for sale on it. I built my own web site and use jalbum as my photo interface.

and i agree with george :)

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
In a world where people collect differently from other people, i say take your own path that makes you happy with your collection. If it were Bagwell cards, i probably would not have bought the lot, unless the cards in it met my collection requirements. I personally am not collecting every graded Bagwell in existence, just looking for his PSA 10 rookie cards instead. Now, if that lot was the regular cost of the rookies i needed, and all the other cards were then extras, then sure. I would go for it, and then flip the ones i didnt need.

as for your lower graded, you may as well keep them. From what i have seen the lower graded cards dont move for more than ungraded anyways.

do i scan the backs... Gosh, back when i started scanning i wish i did. But now im over 3000 scans of the fronts and it would be such a chore to do the backs. I would have to have a wild thorn up my ass to actually pull the trigger and scan all my backs. I dont see it happening anytime soon.

photobucket is crap. I hate it. Even for my quick uploads of random stuff, its interface is utter garbage and i despise looking at other people collections or stuff for sale on it. I built my own web site and use jalbum as my photo interface.

and i agree with george :)[/QUOTE
Thanks for the info. There was a few big hits in the lot that I needed for the collection at the time so i pulled the trigger. The price i paid was around what the lot would have gone for without it being graded so the PSA 10s were a bonus. Since then I have more copies of the cards when I bought one of my competitors collections. As far as scanning the reason why I brought these questions to the thread is cause if I am going to scan my collection I wasn't sure to scan the graded cards or the raw, or both.
Next. I have to compliment you for your site. That is amazing. I too have an unbelievable collection however I am very unorganized and not to computer savvy. I always collected the way I want and my liking but it is good to pick others brains for new ideas. I am not trying to keep up with other collectors just trying to organize and display so others can see they may have to try and keep up with me.

Members online

Latest posts