Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Twins Sign Phil Hughes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Twins To Sign Phil Hughes
By Aaron Steen [November 30, 2013 at 9:53pm CST]
The Twins have agreed to a three-year, $24MM deal with Phil Hughes, LaVelle E. Neal III of the Star Tribune reports, citing an anonymous source.

A source with knowledge of the talks tells Neal that the Twins are expected to announce the deal this week, with Hughes expected to undergo a physical as early as this weekend.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Good luck with that Twins fans.

way too early to say. Going to a more out-of-the-spotlight organization, having different coaches to evaluate you/work with you and calling a different ballpark home for half the season might do wonders for him.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
way too early to say. Going to a more out-of-the-spotlight organization, having different coaches to evaluate you/work with you and calling a different ballpark home for half the season might do wonders for him.

I think that His career as a number 1-3 is over. He MIGHT be able to put up number 4-5 numbers.

Twins fans. Get ready for 7 wins and a 4.5 era.

If you've watched him pitch his stuff is not good. He has a good curve and his fastball is good for an inning before it drops to as flat as possible around 91-92

Can't believe he got 24 million.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
He has a good curve and his fastball is good for an inning before it drops to as flat as possible around 91-92
HAD a good curveball. And his fastball can get 94 regularly but it's lazer straight. Wanna know why he gives up 30-40 HRs/yr? Everyone sits fastball since he rarely throws the curve and he has never been able to develop a 3rd pitch with any consistency.

I like Hughes and thought he could really dominant, but I think he needs to go back to the bullpen where his stuff will play much better. As is he's a young-ish #4 or 5 that will roast your bullpen.

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
With a much more favorable home stadium as a flyball pitcher, he has the potential to be a solid piece in that rotation.

pac_rat_76

Aug 10, 2008
Minnesota
I think that His career as a number 1-3 is over. He MIGHT be able to put up number 4-5 numbers.

Twins fans. Get ready for 7 wins and a 4.5 era.

If you've watched him pitch his stuff is not good. He has a good curve and his fastball is good for an inning before it drops to as flat as possible around 91-92

Can't believe he got 24 million.

Nothing to get ready for. That is what we are used to! :rolleyes:

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
One of two things will happen:

1. He will win twenty games

Or

2. Management will be thrilled the team moved stadiums because there would be new holes in the metrodome roof with all the homeruns Hughes gives up.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
HAD a good curveball. And his fastball can get 94 regularly but it's lazer straight. Wanna know why he gives up 30-40 HRs/yr? Everyone sits fastball since he rarely throws the curve and he has never been able to develop a 3rd pitch with any consistency.

I like Hughes and thought he could really dominant, but I think he needs to go back to the bullpen where his stuff will play much better. As is he's a young-ish #4 or 5 that will roast your bullpen.
He still HAS a good curveball. A very good curveball. But it loses its hook late in games. Hughes also doesn't throw 94 at all after the first few innings. he sits around 92 or so mostly all game. Even in that park I would expect 20-25 homeruns to be given up maybe more.
With a much more favorable home stadium as a flyball pitcher, he has the potential to be a solid piece in that rotation.
keyword POTENTIAL. 95% chance he flops. AGAIN.
One of two things will happen:

1. He will win twenty games

Or

2. Management will be thrilled the team moved stadiums because there would be new holes in the metrodome roof with all the homeruns Hughes gives up.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app
No way does he win 20 games. Even if he pitches well on that club he won't hit 15 let alone 20 wins.

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire

Agreed. He should do better there.

When he was good, he was great. However, when he sucked, he was horrific!

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Should've signed JJ for that amount or a little more, at only a year plus mauve a mutual option. Phil should do better outta NYC though.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
even for the Twinkies thats a lot of scratch for what you are getting. GL

Should've signed JJ for that amount or a little more, at only a year plus mauve a mutual option. Phil should do better outta NYC though.
Agree. I'm a huge JJ fan. Always liked the way he pitched. Was kinda hoping he'd sign with the Yanks although I'm not sure how he would do in NY.

Members online