Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MASSIVE HOF AUTO Mailday!! My Rarest HOF Auto yet and its on a Rookie!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chromerookies

Aug 7, 2008
Madison, Ct.
before today, this was my rarest HOF Rookie Auto (Died 1956)....

Simmons1923ExhibitAutoSGCJSA.jpg

and after arriving in the mail today, this is now my rarest (Died 1948 and wasn't inducted into HOF until 1979)

Wilson1928ExhibitBVGJSAAuto.jpg

I'm very excited to get this in!

chromerookies

Aug 7, 2008
Madison, Ct.
Very cool. I have always been jealous of your Simmons, now I will be same over this Wilson.

well done!

Thank You and I will admit that I am Very jealous of your massive HOF Auto collection. I really liked that Wilbert Robinson auto steal, especially with him being a former Philadelphia A and all. Its always interesting to see who your next HOF auto will be, especially with the total you have, you KNOW its gonna be a good one!

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
[MENTION=1797]chromerookies[/MENTION] - this is hard to say, but I'm a little concerned about that Hack auto. I've seen a lot of them (I used to run a Hack Wilson website, it's not active right now). If it was me, I wouldn't have bought that one. And I know it has JSA authentication. It's too angular to me, and the letter shapes aren't consistent with the examples I've seen. The W isn't rounded on the bottom, the last N is odd, other letters just worry me. It's enough to scare me off. I may well be wrong, but I'm conservative when it comes to investments like that. Hack usually didn't just sign Hack Wilson either - although he did on occassion. Usually he signed with Hack in quotes as Lewis "Hack" Wilson. It also seems "pinched" to me - whereas most Wilson autographs are elongated and smooth. Compare to other examples:

1948-hack-wilson-signature-3.jpg

2012oct11_4l.jpg

https://www.google.com/search?q=hac...1280&bih=796#q=hack+wilson+autograph&tbm=isch

I do hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Also, just curious, are you collecting strict rookie cards? Wilson had a 1926 Exhibit and a 1927 York (some don't consider Exhibits cards, but postcards). The 1927 York is an error card though - actually pictures Art Wilson, not Hack.

wilson26EXHIBITS_front.jpg

wilson27YORK_front.jpg

chromerookies

Aug 7, 2008
Madison, Ct.
I collect what would be considered closest to a r.c, which for pre-war HOFers varies depending on who you talk to. the 1926 exhibit is actually a 1926-29 (so you can't really pinpoint a specific year) and his "true" rc would be a 1925 Universal Toy (rare) and his next would be the 1927 York which as you said doesn't even picture him and next would be the 1928 Exhibit which is the most common of the 3. I personally favor the exhibits and they are by far my favorite "card" of the 20's.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
The exhibits are very nice for autographs, and yes - RC designations for early HOFers are a bit nebulous. Good luck with the collection, it's impressive! And if you are curious for other opinions on the Hack auto, I'd ask the knowledge base at Net 54.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts