Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

WHOLY Mother of all stupid error cards TOPPS TRIPLE THREADS Trout Pic/Ripken Barrell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I believe someone posted about this a few days/week ago. Such an awful error by topps.

obviously some people at Topps or their contractors are not MLB fans. Maybe Topps or contractors should hire baseball fans to work on baseball products so someone along the line might realize something wrong before they packout the card.

anyway, if this was a Conan "Fan Korrections" skit, it would air that Topps had Cal Ripken Jr. drink from the fountain of youth then took him to a studio and dressed him in an Angels jersey for a photo shoot.

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
Sorry this was posted before. I truly did try and verify it was not a duplicate post. They must be hiring McDonalds and WalMart workers for min wage. How the hell can someone screw up one of the icon cards from a premium release and still make it through QC? I have not and will not buy a box of any Topps product any time soon!

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
How the hell can someone screw up one of the icon cards from a premium release and still make it through QC? I have not and will not buy a box of any Topps product any time soon!

I can see how most of the card could be screwed up if Topps does relics like I've seen in a few videos from other companies. Scenario: the cards are face down when the swatches or other things like the bat barrell are laid onto the card fronts. A worker put a Trout image part of the booklet card in the area that should have had the Ripken image part of the booklet card since the swatches look proper for a Ripken card. After the card back is glued on, it goes to the cutter to be separated and someone who folds up the booklet and does the randomization of the cards for the packout machine doesn't know who Cal Ripken Jr. is from Cow Patty so he/she doesn't realize there is an issue.

I can't wait until the Cal Ripken image with swatches is pulled to see who and with what item (barrell, patch, etc) that Ripken is paired with in a booklet.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
obviously some people at Topps or their contractors are not MLB fans. Maybe Topps or contractors should hire baseball fans to work on baseball products so someone along the line might realize something wrong before they packout
Topps wants baseball fans as editors, but those dudes only see pre-production sheets, no finished product. They have an unofficial policy of NOT hiring fans to do final processes, as they may have stickier fingers.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Topps wants baseball fans as editors, but those dudes only see pre-production sheets, no finished product. They have an unofficial policy of NOT hiring fans to do final processes, as they may have stickier fingers.
That makes sense I guess.... that can go for any industry though... no one that works at a cigarette company smokes? No one that works at a candy plant likes sweets? I mean I get it but that only goes so far.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
That makes sense I guess.... that can go for any industry though... no one that works at a cigarette company smokes? No one that works at a candy plant likes sweets? I mean I get it but that only goes so far.
There is a BIG difference in looking out for a cigarette that resembles each and every one rolling off the line and looking out for 1/1s of prospects/stars yo.

Analogies involving this hobby and other industries are seldom sound

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
There is a BIG difference in looking out for a cigarette that resembles each and every one rolling off the line and looking out for 1/1s of prospects/stars yo.

Analogies involving this hobby and other industries are seldom sound
Very true, good point. I agree with you, just the devils advocate in me had to throw it out there... I stand corrected. How do they "know" if someone is a fan or not though? I feel like I could hide that I'm a collector pretty well... I mean sh*t, some of my closest friends and family don't know I collect or know my involvement in the hobby LOL

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Very true, good point. I agree with you, just the devils advocate in me had to throw it out there... I stand corrected. How do they "know" if someone is a fan or not though? I feel like I could hide that I'm a collector pretty well... I mean sh*t, some of my closest friends and family don't know I collect or know my involvement in the hobby LOL
They don't, and it is definitely an unofficial thing. They want baseball-nutty younger men working on the checklists/photos/final pre-pro details in NYC, but are happy to have elderly women work with the final product.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
They don't, and it is definitely an unofficial thing. They want baseball-nutty younger men working on the checklists/photos/final pre-pro details in NYC, but are happy to have elderly women work with the final product.
LOL!!! Hints the F-ups on something like this ::facepalm::

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
LOL!!! Hints the F-ups on something like this ::facepalm::
No joke. And no disrespect to the good people of Duryea, PA, as when I visited the factory there they couldn't have been nicer or more genuine. They just seemed a bit old and certainly didn't seem like sports people, which I think Topps does by design.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
They have an unofficial policy of NOT hiring fans to do final processes, as they may have stickier fingers.

Fair enough. Topps should improve the process by printing names on the backside of the card fronts so when you are laying down the swatches, bat chips, barrells, etc., the worker can verify the names with the items being placed in the card.

Alternately, have the finished cards proofed by someone under the supervision of the brand manager in a secure, security camera room to avoid possible pilfering just as one final quality control check before being sent for packout.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts