Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rinku and Dinesh aren't very happy with Topps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ru4scuba

Aug 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
braden said:
How much do other players get? I know it used to be $75 but that was before Exclusives and autos and such.

http://deadspin.com/5167433/rinku-and-dinesh-are-boycotting-topps

Interesting that they have a contract with UD since they cant' produce cards of them yet. Also, I thought $5 was the standard Topps contract.

4. Payment (a) Initially, Five ($5.00) Dollars by check to me in hand,
receipt of which I hereby acknowledge

(b) Periodic guaranteed lump sum payments: (i) For each Baseball Season
during the term of this Agreement and any extensions or renewals thereof during
which I am retained as an active, eligible member of a Major League Baseball
Club for the first 31 consecutive days of the Championship Baseball Season
("Baseball Season") without interruption, or my picture is used, Topps shall, no
later than June 1 in every such year, pay me Five Hundred Dollars ($500) and pay
the MLBPA Two Hundred Fifty Dollars ($250)
and (ii) if I am a baseball player,
Topps shall also pay me an extension bonus of Seventy-Five Dollars ($75) per
year of extension each time I extend this Agreement for an additional term of
years pursuant to Topps' policy of attempting to extend its contracts with
baseball players in order to keep baseball players under contract for up to four
Baseball Seasons in advance. This extension bonus will be in addition to any
royalties payable under paragraph 4(c) or minimum royalties payable under
paragraph 4(d).

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
So just because they signed something they didnt understand makes Topps a bad company??? I think they have alot to learn about business and signing your name on contracts without knowing what you are signing!!!

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
$5 is the standard for Topps for principle rights, but they pay more if and when they actually use the player in a set.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
jarcar said:
I'm a little slower than most... Topps only pays $5 a year to players to sign? That's it? Or is that per auto? I must be missing something.

Topps tries to sign everyone from Rookie Ball to the big leagues for $5 a year, which is for the rights to use the player. If the player is actually used in a set, the player receives more (I can't remember how much). At least that's how it was when I worked there 2001-2002. EDIT-The per auto price varies from player to player (it was 50 each for Pujols in 2002 and 1 each for no-name prospects). I didn't work in player licensing, obviously.

ru4scuba

Aug 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
Mighty Bombjack said:
jarcar said:
I'm a little slower than most... Topps only pays $5 a year to players to sign? That's it? Or is that per auto? I must be missing something.

Topps tries to sign everyone from Rookie Ball to the big leagues for $5 a year, which is for the rights to use the player. If the player is actually used in a set, the player receives more (I can't remember how much). At least that's how it was when I worked there 2001-2002. I didn't work in player licensing, obviously.

$500 to the player and $250 to the MLBPA. Seriously, am I on a lot of ignore lists or do people not read what I posted above?

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
The player receives 5 bucks to enforce the contract with Topps. I believe the legal jargon is "consideration" or something like that. this does not mean thats all a player will receive.

I remember talking to a few players back in the 80's that they received rights money from the players union that totaled about 80K just for the money that was received for baseball cards and other "rights" fees paid by the card makers and other licensed manufacturers that pay the players union a fee. I dont know how much the players receive now but I can assure you its a hck of a lot more than 5 bucks!!

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
ru4scuba said:
Mighty Bombjack said:
jarcar said:

Topps tries to sign everyone from Rookie Ball to the big leagues for $5 a year, which is for the rights to use the player. If the player is actually used in a set, the player receives more (I can't remember how much). At least that's how it was when I worked there 2001-2002. I didn't work in player licensing, obviously.

$500 to the player and $250 to the MLBPA. Seriously, am I on a lot of ignore lists or do people not read what I posted above?

I read the first part of the quoted contract, but thought it was only about the initial 5 and stopped reading. Thanks for posting that. The year I went to ST with Topps, I had some of the young guys harass me for their payments, but I couldn't help them.

ru4scuba

Aug 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
Mighty Bombjack said:
I read the first part of the quoted contract, but thought it was only about the initial 5 and stopped reading. Thanks for posting that. The year I went to ST with Topps, I had some of the young guys harass me for their payments, but I couldn't help them.

:lol: No problem... the link goes to the full contract. It is an older one but I doubt it has changed much over the last few years.

jarcar

Aug 7, 2008
Vancouver Canada
ru4scuba said:
jarcar said:

I posted the contract. What more proof do you need?

I read the contract but I didn't understand what that $5 was for. So a player only gets $500 per season. Again I will ask, is this in addition to the auto's they sign? Or is this what they get for whatever amount of autos?

Edit: nevermind I didn't read right to the end where it says this is additional to any royalties...

It helps to read things COMPLETELY. ;)

ru4scuba

Aug 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
jarcar said:
ru4scuba said:
jarcar said:

I posted the contract. What more proof do you need?

I read the contract but I didn't understand what that $5 was for. So a player only gets $500 per season. Again I will ask, is this in addition to the auto's they sign? Or is this what they get for whatever amount of autos?

Edit: nevermind I didn't read right to the end where it says this is additional to any royalties...

It helps to read things COMPLETELY. ;)

Yup... does not include autos. Basically the two Indian guys or more likely their agent are jumping to conclusions about the $5.

Members online

Latest posts