Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Seeking advice before I thin out my collection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
As we prepared for our upcoming move the sheer volume of the junk in my collection was pretty overwhelming. I am taking this opportunity to thin it out and give away as much of the no-low value (personal or financial) cards as I can, but I need some advice. My plan is to compile a massive pile of the unwanted wax and group them into "packs" that my wife and her colleagues can pass out to kids at their hospital.

First, I am thinking that I will only thin out the cards from 1984 and forward. The older ones are ones I bought when I was a child/teenager, or ones I have bought over the last several years for my PC. Given that, I obviously know the big names to look for, but what are the odd/rare/mistake cards I should look out for? The cards in question are 98% Topps and, until the mid/late 1990's, just the "main" Topps baseball line. I am not sure what I will do with the Finest etc. from the late 1990's forward.

Please understand, I am not asking for posts like "hey, if you find any XXXXXXXXXX let me know." I am either keeping the cards or giving them to the hospital. Sorry.

So, if you have any guidance on which cards to look for from 1984 forward in "main line" Topps (other than the obvious rookies, stars, etc.), please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

T

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
Good thing you're doing. Wish I had some advice for ya, but I'm not old enough to remember 80's Topps and really only deal with stuff 2002-present.

The kids will love the cards though. Awesome!!!

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
I don't have any advice to offer, but I wanted to say that you're doing a great thing. My wife and I donate cards to the Peyton Manning's Children Hospital each year. The nurses say the kids love the cards.

Members online

Latest posts