Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Illegal drugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cards01fan

Sep 4, 2008
Watching the history channel, the show Hooked on Illegal drugs stated that in the 1880's cocaine was thought to be good for baseball players!

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
Cocaine was in just about everything around the turn of the century and for a little longer.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
In the 1880's, it wasn't known what cocaine could do, other than make people feel good for a short time. One company, Metcalf's Coca Wine (a mixture of a small dose of cocaine and burgundy wine) did tout it's medicinal properties of "treating headaches, anxiety, fatigue, depression, and fever, soothing the vocal cords, aiding digestion, and more" specifically to baseball players, but also to public speakers, singers and actors. It also was thought to be fine for children! It was a lot less potent than refined cocaine of the 20th century. I doubt it was highly used in baseball circles - managers tended to frown from players drinking before games, and coca wine would have been frowned upon.

It took less than a decade for people to see that even low dose cocaine products (there were tooth drops, hair tonics, etc.) caused more problems than they cured. Coca-Cola removed it in 1903.

coca_wine_back_2.jpg

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
Can't imagine it would help in baseball unless they were constantly doing lines in the clubhouse in between innings. The crash happens in 45-30 minutes and would leave players feeling awful late in the games.

Speaking as someone who has beaten an addiction to coke, you are way off. Good product is generally good for 4 hours and the difference between coke and meth is coke doesn't really have a "crash", you just kinda come down.

It would help in multiple ways. It Slows things down, and somehow makes you see things better. I'd guess from the huge pupils. It also gives you a large energy boost.

Just some thoughts. I always see people question the effects it would have and assume they've never done it. I'm happy to say I've been off it since 2007, but I try to share my experiences with it. I was always a lot more productive, when I did it. It's definitely not a lazy and drug and Hollywood doesn't really have a good grasp on it, in their movies.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
Speaking as someone who has beaten an addiction to coke, you are way off. Good product is generally good for 4 hours and the difference between coke and meth is coke doesn't really have a "crash", you just kinda come down.

It would help in multiple ways. It Slows things down, and somehow makes you see things better. I'd guess from the huge pupils. It also gives you a large energy boost.

Just some thoughts. I always see people question the effects it would have and assume they've never done it. I'm happy to say I've been off it since 2007, but I try to share my experiences with it. I was always a lot more productive, when I did it. It's definitely not a lazy and drug and Hollywood doesn't really have a good grasp on it, in their movies.
So you just assume anyone who questions the effects have never done it?

You are making assumptions with no base. Sure top of the line product is good for hours at a time, but the majority of what is out there will typically last for 1 hour max maybe a bit longer. Especially looking back at the 1900's. I can't imagine that they had the top of the line incredibly pure coke in those times. You would need that to last for the entire length of the game with no fluctuation in feeling for it to help. Thats not happening 9 times out of 10. And yes there is a "come down" for coke. You go from the feeling of being on coke to the feeling of not being on coke. Thats the definition of a come down.

I appreciate your first hand account but keep in mind there are others out there that have experienced this drug as well. I don't think anyone thinks of coke as a "lazy drug" either.

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS

You are making assumptions with no base. Sure top of the line product is good for hours at a time, but the majority of what is out there will typically last for 1 hour max maybe a bit longer. Especially looking back at the 1900's. I can't imagine that they had the top of the line incredibly pure coke in those times. You would need that to last for the entire length of the game with no fluctuation in feeling for it to help. Thats not happening 9 times out of 10. And yes there is a "come down" for coke. You go from the feeling of being on coke to the feeling of not being on coke. Thats the definition of a come down.

I appreciate your first hand account but keep in mind there are others out there that have experienced this drug as well. I don't think anyone thinks of coke as a "lazy drug" either.

I knew there was a reason I thought about not posting. I forgot you already know everything about everything.

Unless you've done it for an extended period of time, you have little ground to stand on.

I would imagine it was more pure back then, as it likely wasn't cut with MSG or other chemicals, like today's coke is.

Never said there wasn't a come down. In fact I think I specifically stated you "just come down". I DID day you don't crash. Crash implies that the bottom falls out and you feel like utter crap. There's a reason people choose coke over meth. This is the main one.

Note to self. Never reply to something maxe has posted in because everyone has already been fully educated on the subject when he posted.

Don't bother with your BS reply to this. Won't be another from me and I won't see yours.

Last edited:

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island

I agree with Catdaddy. It was a different time and everywhere as noted by Elmalo. People stomp on it now to make more money and can get away with it as most people looking only have so many options. Back then if you sold crap people would just buy from another source.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
I knew there was a reason I thought about not posting. I forgot you already know everything about everything.

Unless you've done it for an extended period of time, you have little ground to stand on.

I would imagine it was more pure back then, as it likely wasn't cut with MSG or other chemicals, like today's coke is.

Never said there wasn't a come down. In fact I think I specifically stated you "just come down". I DID day you don't crash. Crash implies that the bottom falls out and you feel like utter crap. There's a reason people choose coke of meth. This is the main one.

Note to self. Never reply to something maxe has posted in because everyone has already been fully educated on the subject when he posted.

Don't bother with your BS reply to this. Won't be another from me and I won't see yours.
You think that I'm attacking you when all I posted was a response to what you had said. Nobody said anything about knowing it all. Come down or crash are the same things IMO. Sure crash is harder but coming down still is not fun. They both are not enjoyable things and would not help baseball players at the end of games. Not sure why you took that so personally but whatever floats your boat!

I appreciate your opinion on the subject and was just sharing mine.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts