Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Amazing how this ONE card could have changed this hobby

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Don Mattingly played a little in 1982 and then half a season the following year.

Because of that, there is no reason why he shouldn't have been in the 1983 topps traded set.

Had he been in that set, hobby history would have changed greatly.

The combination of both new york phenom rookie "xrc" cards (Mattingly and strawberry) in this set would have blown it up beyond belief.

No doubt there would have been two cards selling for over$100 each from a set that cost less than ten bucks.

And while both players still would "officially" have Rc's the following year, donnie's 84 Donruss WOULDN'T be what it is today in terms of iconic and vitally important cards, especially because the 83 traded set was very under ordered.

So then, without the Donruss Mattingly becoming "the card", would the 84 set have become the iconic set the decade? Would the hobby had noticed just how limited it was without a mega hot card pushing it?

And what about the next two years when Donruss brand became the hottest company around due to the reputation it gained from Mattingly card? Without it, would topps still be king like the previous years?

And lastly, the Donruss Mattingly wouldn't be the first "modern" card to be heavily counterfeited.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
Don Mattingly played a little in 1982 and then half a season the following year.

Because of that, there is no reason why he shouldn't have been in the 1983 topps traded set.

Had he been in that set, hobby history would have changed greatly.

The combination of both new york phenom rookie "xrc" cards (Mattingly and strawberry) in this set would have blown it up beyond belief.

No doubt there would have been two cards selling for over$100 each from a set that cost less than ten bucks.

And while both players still would "officially" have Rc's the following year, donnie's 84 Donruss WOULDN'T be what it is today in terms of iconic and vitally important cards, especially because the 83 traded set was very under ordered.

So then, without the Donruss Mattingly becoming "the card", would the 84 set have become the iconic set the decade? Would the hobby had noticed just how limited it was without a mega hot card pushing it?

And what about the next two years when Donruss brand became the hottest company around due to the reputation it gained from Mattingly card? Without it, would topps still be king like the previous years?

And lastly, the Donruss Mattingly wouldn't be the first "modern" card to be heavily counterfeited.

Nicely said. It is hard for younger collectors that weren't collecting (or even alive) at the time to truly appreciate the 1984 Donruss Mattingly. This card absolutely saved card collecting in my opinion. At a time when pricey, in demand modern cards were selling in the $1-$2 range this was a $100 card. The hype surrounding this card was absolutely crazy. Even the hysteria surrounding the 89 UD Griffey was nothing compared to this Mattingly card from 1984-88. That being said the Griffey has held up better value wise. I have never been a Yankees fan but this card will always be special to me.

Last edited:

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
No doubt. The Donruss card continues to be THE iconic card from my childhood. Interesting to think about. Wasn't there a "mock" '83 Topps Mattingly produced by someone? (A cheap magazine insert I'm guessing?) I bet even that sells for $5 today

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
True but in our area (In Oregon) The Jose Canseco Donruss Rated Rookie was out of this world even beyond Mattingly hype. I also remember the Fleer Mattingly being ultra popular.

WillBBC

Feb 22, 2012
Great post. That 84 Donruss Mattingly was a dream card for me growing up in the late 80s/90s in north Jersey. My aunt actually gave it to me when I was the ring bearer for her wedding (I was 10). I proudly had that card displayed on my shelf for years. It's still sitting strong on my top 10 of all time.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Yep, that's a good one. At the time, rookie speculation was just beginning to catch on. All the biggest money was going to old RCs and SPs, which were exploding in price, but paying big dollars for someone who just started, and might be worth a lot more later, was still a fairly new thing.

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
No doubt. The Donruss card continues to be THE iconic card from my childhood. Interesting to think about. Wasn't there a "mock" '83 Topps Mattingly produced
by someone? (A cheap magazine insert I'm guessing?) I bet even that sells for $5 today

The card is

m7PViUGnlqohWqOippO6xzQ.jpg

The Magazine was...
1987-04_BBCM.jpg

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
Although I started collecting a few years before all 3 brands of the Mattingly RC is what made me so obsessed with this hobby. I still have all my Mattingly RCs from all the brands back then. Some being pack fresh!
donniepack0001.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I don't remember, but didn't it take a while (a couple years) to really fire up? That magazine was 87 and shows the card rising to $75. Did it rise, drop and rise again? I remember my brother and I both got the 3 sets that year and later remember that 84D set being on fire.

I remember the 86D Canseco craze more for some reason, although in my area I never found ANY 84-86 Donruss packs. Topps all over, Fleer a bit harder to find, but still around. Absolutely NO Donruss packs anywhere to be found. We are talking retail now, because I didn't have any hobby shops close enough to me at that time.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I ordered one of the uncut sheets of Nestle cards, I think from a pack insert of regular Topps cards. My sheet arrived and had Mattingly and Strayberry. I was pissed because it didn't have Garvey! My dad later told me he had the sheet cut up into individual cards when I noticed it missing one day and freaked out. Actually he was making a frame for it, but he ended up stapling the edge of the sheet to the frame to secure it (also freaked me out).

I still have the sheet in that frame. My dad is gone now, but thinking of this made me smile and think of him. He was trying to do a nice thing for me and didn't understand the staple effect.

Members online

Latest posts