Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Addicted to the hobby

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MichaelStanton2010

Feb 14, 2010
Told myself time to get out of the hobby on numerous occasions....usually lasts until bowman draft is released, then I get sucked back in lol. There are a lot more important things in my life, with my wife and 3 kids, career, bills...etc. Just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues. For me its a passion for the game whether its following the Yankees, going to rivers cats games, or watching my sons play, my annual NL only fantasy baseball money league...baseball will always be a passion of mine. Been collecting baseball cards since 1986, and always have always enjoyed looking for thenext big thing. I have recently decided I would just pick 1 under the radar player from bowman draft and load up on them each year and maybe I will be able to cash in someday. Back to original topic, was wondering if others have had similar issues giving up the hobby? Would love to hear your stories. PS looking for all rare Brian Navarreto bowman draft cards numbered to 99 or less...pm me if you have anything and your asking price. Peace out! Chris

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Just don't fight it, you'll lose.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I have periods of being "up" and "down" on the Hobby, sometimes a coupla times a year and sometimes created by the amount of money I have to put into it but it always comes back for one reason or another.

Trying to sell things just to make profits usually leads to "down" periods for most collectors.

That's why I always advise people to not sell everything until they've given it 6 months to mull over the decision...

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Aside from needing to get rid of everything, I've been out of the hobby for a few months now and don't miss it at all. I also went through ups and downs but finally just stopped.

Granted, I'm getting divorced and the payoffs from spending money on dating again are much more fun. ;)

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I would guess if one were to give up the hobby, then they are probably not spending a lot of time on a card collecting website talking about cards.

I bought my first cards in 1978 and continued up to my departure for and including my first couple years in the Navy. I would have to say that I stopped being an active collector sometime around 1988-89, although my mom would still buy or set aside cards and related items while I was away. I'd look through them when i was home on leave, but I was not really buying or trading. The collection just sat at home.

Maybe a year before my separation from the military, a friend was talking about cards and took me to a shop (Jelly's - Pearl City on Oahu for those who has been) and they were obviously quite a bit different from when I had last been buying, so I bought a few junk boxes and got hooked again. Have not really looked back since. That was around 1992-93. I always say I took a 5 year break, but otherwise have 30+ years of hobby fun to reflect on.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
try getting addicted to something else. gambling is fun
This hobby IS gambling. I keep telling myself that and then I go and invest hard in Clarkin, Jagielo, AND Judge from Draft. I actually go through bouts of feeling sick about it, the money spent on cardboard. But I buy more anyways, telling myself I'll cash out when these guys hit it big.

Because I'm a moron. And have no self control.

Members online

Latest posts