Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How come no talk about Jose pirela as yanks second baseman?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Kind of surprised I haven't heard once his name being mentioned as their second baseman or even possible replacement.

Now I'm not saying he is a future mega star but he has put up very nice numbers over the last few with a very good eye.

And since he would be coming up from the farm at 23, he would be making "nothing" for salary.

Thoughts?

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
Kind of surprised I haven't heard once his name being mentioned as their second baseman or even possible replacement.

Now I'm not saying he is a future mega star but he has put up very nice numbers over the last few with a very good eye.

And since he would be coming up from the farm at 23, he would be making "nothing" for salary.

Thoughts?

The Yanks are being so frustrating with their prospects. With that lineup having Pirela bat ninth and play second or at least try in Spring Training would hardly hurt the Yankees at all. If he flops they have Kelly.
Well, they did recently sign Kelly Johnson, so...
Yeah. More than likely Kelly will be the starter and bat eighth or ninth which is something I am completely happy with. Low cost signing and we don't need all stars at every position.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Some like me dont we are fine with homegrown guys and like to see them have a chance. Cano was no world beater in the minors. Yankees have had some very good homegrown talent but nobody likes to talk about that. The GM has gotta give guys at least a chance.
Yankees fans want big names

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
Been one of the big things I've really enjoyed about Boston over the past several years. A lot of homegrown talent that has been given a chance and panned out. Granted, there were some big name signings and then trading of those big names, but the Redsox have done very well in the farm development area of the game in the last decade or so. Too many folks to even name them all, but you have Lester, Buchholz, Papelbon, Pedroia, Bogarts, Ellsbury, Middlebrooks, Nava, Youkilis, Hanley, Reddick, Lowrie, etc...

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
Fair enough.

Non card collecting yankees fans want big names
Thanks. I agree that the Yankees have tons and tons and tons of bandwagon fans that want only the biggest names but giving some of these prospects a chance would be a much better move than signing extremely old players. I liked the signings this offseason but it'd be nice to try some prospects at second, third, or OF if they can move Ichiro. I hope they give some a chance in the Bullpen as well.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Now I'm not saying pirela is Cano part two but there wasn't anything grand about Cano before he came up. Yes, a good player but not what he turned into for sure.

And it was either end of 03 or 04 when I read he was a future utility guy.

aarne13

Oct 15, 2008
The Permian Basin
He sounds like one of those under the radar prospects. Numbers at AA look good but I didn't see any recent scouting reports on his overall play. Just like the Jays the Yanks don't have much faith in their minor league players.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
He may be a fine player, but I'm sure he falls well below the Yankees $5M/yr salary floor.
Not sure if you were trying to poke fun at the Yankees spending or what but on the active/40 man roster they have plenty of players making under 5 million a year. Lets see: Brendan Ryan, Johnson, Wells, Soriano(Both being paid mostly by the other teams, Cubs, Angels.), Gardner, Cervelli, Nunez, Murphy, Romine as well as the majority of their bullpen.

Nice try though.

Last edited:

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
Now I'm not saying pirela is Cano part two but there wasn't anything grand about Cano before he came up. Yes, a good player but not what he turned into for sure.

And it was either end of 03 or 04 when I read he was a future utility guy.

Even if he didn't put up big amazing numbers I would be completely happy putting a prospect at 2B. His extremely low cost would be very beneficial to this team and if he could bat like 250 or so and play solid defense out of the eight or nine spot that sounds great to me. For now I think they will go with Johnson at second though at least for next year.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
What an ignorant comment. Not sure if you were trying to poke fun at the Yankees spending or what but on the active/40 man roster they have plenty of players making under 5 million a year. Lets see: Brendan Ryan, Johnson, Wells, Soriano(Both being paid mostly by the other teams, Cubs, Angels.), Gardner, Cervelli, Nunez, Murphy, Romine as well as the majority of their bullpen.

Nice try though.

internet sarcasm

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
With the lineup the yanks will have next year, they don't need big numbers from second, just a solid bat who can handle the glove.

Members online