Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Astros' TV revenue covers their payroll 3x over

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
TV revenues and outside sources of incomes are MLB teams dirty little secrets.

Pittsburgh was piiiiiiissed a couple years ago when their financals were released to, I believe, deadspin

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
Are these actual revenues or projected? I ask because the Astros are currently suing the blue Jesus out of Comcast because of the projected numbers being artificially inflated to make the team seem more valuable.

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
Great info. Everytime I hear sports radio or forums arguing about Kobe or whoever getting paid too much, they never seem to comprehend the amount of money pro sports generate from tickets, TV and merchandise COMBINED. Yeah Team X might be paying player Y too much when they could get the same production by signing players Z & W instead, but X generates jersey sales, TV viewers etc. Sports is a BUSINESS people.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
Great info. Everytime I hear sports radio or forums arguing about Kobe or whoever getting paid too much, they never seem to comprehend the amount of money pro sports generate from tickets, TV and merchandise COMBINED. Yeah Team X might be paying player Y too much when they could get the same production by signing players Z & W instead, but X generates jersey sales, TV viewers etc. Sports is a BUSINESS people.

Couldn't agree more!

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Expected Yankees to be number one, not third.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
The cards have a really really crappy deal

yes, because it's an ancient deal with current pact expiration for at least after the 2015 season according to my notes. The money actually was meaningful for the time the pact was inked. Nowdays, it's horrible compared to what they could have gotten if they didn't sign such a long-*** deal with FSMW.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Are these actual revenues or projected?

Article says projected. Considering the clubs are privately held companies, I doubt you are going to find any meaningful actual revenues from the few that may be a subsidiary of a publically held company, so you have to go by whisper numbers that the tv/radio/newspapers report the deal might be worth when there are stories about the clubs' tv/radio rights.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
There's no way the Nats get $86M, the same as the Orioles, from MASN.

I seem to recall in the mess about moving Montreal to DC, there was some deal struck with Peter Angelos about TV rights money since the Nats would be cutting into his Orioles TV territory. If the numbers are the same from MASN for each club, the deal must have been that the Nats and O's rights money were combined and split equally.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I can see the Dodgers being higher. But the sorry Angels? I can't imagine more people wanting to watch them over the Yankees.

The Dodgers will be much higher in 2014 - the article only addresses 2013, before the raise in national tv revenue with the new contracts and before the Dodgers' tv pact starting in 2014 with TWC starts and the Dodgers will be making a boatload more tv rights money per season.

Angels have high local tv rights money because a few years ago, they inked a long-term deal with Fox Sports West that was estimated to be $3b for 20 years.

I'd like to see awfulannouncing to have a radio rights story at some point because there is also radio rights money revenue for the teams.

I seem to recall in the mess about moving Montreal to DC, there was some deal struck with Peter Angelos about TV rights money since the Nats would be cutting into his Orioles TV territory. If the numbers are the same from MASN for each club, the deal must have been that the Nats and O's rights money were combined and split equally.

The split is nothing close to equal. I believe the Nats actually get about $29M from MASN. They are tied up in litigation trying to get a more favorable split, I've read something in the high 8 digits. Based on subscriber fees ($2.14/month) times the number of subscribers (~6M) MASN generates about $150M in rights fees, and a good chunk of that goes right into Petey's pockets.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
The Dodgers will be much higher in 2014 - the article only addresses 2013, before the raise in national tv revenue with the new contracts and before the Dodgers' tv pact starting in 2014 with TWC starts and the Dodgers will be making a boatload more tv rights money per season.

Angels have high local tv rights money because a few years ago, they inked a long-term deal with Fox Sports West that was estimated to be $3b for 20 years.

I'd like to see awfulannouncing to have a radio rights story at some point because there is also radio rights money revenue for the teams.

Yeah we are talking about 2013. I would still expect my order to hold in 2013.

Obviously 2014 is a whole different beast but thats not going to be published for a while.

Members online

Latest posts