Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Article on Adam Ottavino and couple questions. (Cardinals)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AKA Coastal

Aug 7, 2008
I was watching the Italy vs Venezuela game today and saw Ottavino was pitching. He didn't even look like the same pitcher as last year (physically). The announcers went on to say he had gained 30 pounds over the winter (a lot of muscle)! Italy got spanked ,but Ottavino looked very good. He started the game and went 3IP 0ER 1BB 3K against a very good Venezuela lineup. Is '06 Bowman Sterling Adam Ottavino only rookie card? Anyone still invested in him?

Pretty good article on him about his spring training.

StlTODAY

JUPITER, Fla. — Every time St. Louis Cardinals pitching prospect Adam Ottavino would toe the rubber to deliver a pitch there were so many thoughts buzzing between his ears. His arms needed to swing here. His hands needed to be placed there. His shoulder positioned this way. His foot sure that land that way. Not too far back on that back leg. Not too far forward on the release. Don’t do it that way. Be sure to do it this way.

He was consumed by every thought possible about what it took to deliver a pitch.

Every one except actually thinking about the pitch.

“I was a real mess,” Ottavino said. “Now, I’m just done playing that mental game.”
Chris Lee -- P-D)

RHP Adam Ottavino, the Cardinals first-round pick in 2006, delivers a pitch Friday during his Live BP. (Photo: Chris Lee — P-D)

Ottavino has impressed the pitching coaches here at Roger Dean Stadium with how he’s come into camp with a simpler delivery, sharper pitches and a general calm and consistency that he hasn’t had since, well, really since the Cardinals picked in the first round of the 2006 draft. Roving pitching Dyar Miller called Friday’s round of live batting practice one of the most impressive days he’s seen at spring training, and the consensus around camp was that one of the pitchers that has consistently stood out is the one they’re all hoping will stand up and reclaim his spot as a prospect: Ottavino.

“This is the best I’ve ever seen him,” pitching coach Dave Duncan said Friday. “His delivery is really improving. The things he’s been working on are all coming together. You can see the benefits of a young pitcher gaining confidence from results.”

Ottavino stormed out of college with the reputation for wearing rose-colored sunglasses and throwing hard. The Cardinals also classified him as one of the pitchers who had ideal mechanics, even if they defied convention.

That didn’t last.

Ottavino described himself as “liberated” last spring training when he was invited to an early-spring workshop on pitching, one that stressed “natural mechanics” and showed the pitchers such signature deliveries as Sandy Koufax’s and such athletic mechanics as Bob Gibson’s. The Cardinals’ pitching advisers made some alterations to his mechanics and encouraged Ottavino to embrace some of his non-traditional swings and quirks. Ottavino immersed himself in the theory and started adopted all sorts of loose and comfortable mechanics. He also clouded his head with every thought possible but the act of making the pitch. He was devoured by thoughts of where his shoulders went and where his arms would swing and where his feet were going to land.

Forget about remembering to look at where the glove was or what location to target.

The numbers reflected that. Ottavino struggled in the first half of the season, and he finished 3-7 with a 5.23 ERA. He allowed 133 hits and 52 walks against 96 strikeouts in 115 1/3 innings. There wasn’t an aspect of his game that he didn’t struggle with.

“No question,” Ottavino said. “I was pretty down pretty deep that first half. I’ve never had anything like that happen to me. I was going out there hoping something right was going to happen. I needed something to go right to win and I was just hoping it would. I wasn’t myself for most of the season and only started feeling better the second half.

“I guess you’ve got to take a step back sometimes to step forward. I hope to take that step forward.”

He started by gaining some weight.

Ottavino entered spring training last year a rail, vastly slimmed down from his draft frame of just two years before. He said he weighed-in at 210, and that felt like he didn’t have much muscle to get through the spring. He said a combination of trying a new nutrition plan and food poisoning — the latter more than the former — contributed to significant weight loss. It made the entire season physically difficult to get through. This offseason he changed his nutrition, upped his workouts and reported to camp at 240. His frame has noticeably more packed on it, and he feels “just stronger” during his bullpen sessions.

Others are noticing. His fastball has more pep to it, better location.

Instead of the odd arm swing toward the moon that he test-drove last summer, he’s keeping his hands down, his mechanics simple and everything moving toward the plate. His delivery is natural, not overwrought. There’s no thought in his mind but putting that pitch on that target.

And that’s got a few officials thinking Ottavino might be the pitcher expected.

“He’ll never have complete confidence in himself until he has confidence he can execute pitches, and he’s starting look like he can do that,” Duncan said. “When you execute your pitches everything starts falling into place. You do less thinking because you have confidence you know what you’re capable of doing.”

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
He looked great tonight. Made it look like he was worth being a first rounder.

That's his only rookie card to my knowledge, and I know he has cards in 07 Bowman, but I've stayed away from those.

AKA Coastal

Aug 7, 2008
Skorris (CCBC) said:
He looked great tonight. Made it look like he was worth being a first rounder.

That's his only rookie card to my knowledge, and I know he has cards in 07 Bowman, but I've stayed away from those.

Yea, I couldn't find anything else on Ebay from '06. Thanks for the info.

TelePlayer22

Aug 7, 2008
If you are looking for Otter to have a breakout season, I think you're probably out of luck.. he did NOT look that sharp against VZ.. he got really lucky in the first inning. Nothing leads me to believe that this guy is anything special.

TelePlayer22

Aug 7, 2008
If you are looking for Otter to have a breakout season, I think you're probably out of luck.. he did NOT look that sharp against VZ.. he got really lucky in the first inning. Nothing leads me to believe that this guy is anything special.

TelePlayer22

Aug 7, 2008

AKA Coastal

Aug 7, 2008
TelePlayer22 said:

Compared to last year. Anything will be an improvement. Thanks for the info though.

PS: Did we watch the same game?

fengzhang

Aug 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
TelePlayer22 said:

I agree. He hit 95 a couple of times and got very lucky in the 1st inning with some nice defensive plays behind him. Also, had some trouble repeating his delivery. Nothing really stood out to me. I thought he was just another Italian pitcher until the announcers pointed out that he was a high draft pick for the Cardinals.

AKA Coastal

Aug 7, 2008
fengzhang said:
TelePlayer22 said:

I agree. He hit 95 a couple of times and got very lucky in the 1st inning with some nice defensive plays behind him. Also, had some trouble repeating his delivery. Nothing really stood out to me. I thought he was just another Italian pitcher until the announcers pointed out that he was a high draft pick for the Cardinals.

Guess that's why I'm a painter and not a scout. Thanks for the info.

AKA Coastal

Aug 7, 2008
fengzhang said:
TelePlayer22 said:

PS: He did add 30 pounds over the winter. It may take a bit for his mechanics to get back to normal? Just throwing things out there.

Members online

Latest posts