Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Earlier it was Juan Gonzalez. Now Livan Hernandez...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
http://www.lelands.com/Auction/Cate...-Aution/Sports/The-Livan-Hernandez-Collection

Now it looks like Livan Hernandez is auctioning his stuff too...

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Selling a WS Champs ring? Wow, must really be hard up for money! If I were a player, that would be something I'd wear until the day I died.
Agree.

I wouldn't think he would need money though, he made over $50m in his ML career.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I've never been one to put an emotional value on physical things such as trophies or whatnot, so even if I were making millions, I too would consider selling things such as this if it were to go to a good cause.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
A world series ring is a whole lot different than a little league championship trophy. Isnt that the goal as a player? To get that world series ring?

Keyser Soze

Nov 9, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
A world series ring is a whole lot different than a little league championship trophy. Isnt that the goal as a player? To get that world series ring?

Yes, but I'm interested in the self-satisfaction and enjoyment of the championship experience and the notoriety that comes with it. The physical reward is relatively meaningless.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008

I believe the goal of "getting a WS ring" is just a play on words where the REAL goal is to win the WS. Saying 'to get a ring' is just a clever way of going about it. Now, I am not discounting anyone's opinion on the worth of inanimate objects such as trophies, rings, or the like (RE: mementos of ones playing career). If one feels these things are 'keepers' and have sentimental attachments to them then that is fine. Speaking for me personally (again), I would be satisfied with the actual experience and if I could sell off some of the physical fruits of that labor for a good cause then I just might do so also.

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
Agree.

I wouldn't think he would need money though, he made over $50m in his ML career.

Within 5 years of retirement, 78% of NFL players, 60% of NBA players bankrupt. MLB numbers are undoubtedly similar. Most athletes don't know people they can trust for reliable financial advice (that has a lot to do with background), yet there are lots of people around them looking to get a hand on the money: either for bad investments, or the fifth cousin twice removed who wants a handout.

Also, while most athletes seem to make a lot of money, most also have short careers. Additionally, most don't have other job skills to provide an income after they retire from sports. The average NFL tight end, for example, makes $863,000, and has a career of around 6 years. That's 5.2 million in lifetime earnings (before taxes, which will take half), which is not a huge amount, especially if you spend as if you're going to make $863,000/year for the rest of your life.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1153364

TwinGnats

May 25, 2010
Fridley, MN
I gotta call a BS Alert on the two of you. Collectors by their very nature put value on things, otherwise we'd collect memories in our heads and tell the stories on the forum. This is the funniest thing I've read in weeks. Nerds are so funny when they try to be aloof and uncaring.
I'm with you. I am devoid of sentimental attachment to things.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
Also, while most athletes seem to make a lot of money, most also have short careers. Additionally, most don't have other job skills to provide an income after they retire from sports.

]

Hence, we now see them as commentators on espn.

Keyser Soze

Nov 9, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
I gotta call a BS Alert on the two of you. Collectors by their very nature put value on things, otherwise we'd collect memories in our heads and tell the stories on the forum. This is the funniest thing I've read in weeks. Nerds are so funny when they try to be aloof and uncaring.

And know-it-alls are so funny when they try to be instigatory and prophetic. Why would I lie about it? While I PC Anthony Rendon, if he saw a huge spike in value, I'd be selling.

edited to add: In fact, I used to PC Hunter Pence. He got traded to the Phillies and his prices sky-rocketed. Long story short........ I don't collect Hunter Pence anymore. Took my $1500ish investment in him, nearly doubled it, and reinvested the money into other cards/interests.

Last edited:

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008

I was not going to reply on this but rather let others see the error of your assumption(s), however I have a free minute and far be it for me to neglect someone in need of education. I think we all can agree that by your assertion that "collectors by their very nature put values on things" is a clear indication that you consider value a integral part of your, and by extension, anyone's collection. This here is where you made your critical error in judgment, not only by assuming that is true but also assuming it holds true (by and large) for everyone else, when in fact it is most certainly not true for many, including myself.

I collect because it makes me happy, it keeps me active in a community of people I enjoy. I put absolutely zero consideration of the value of any given card nor my collection. The only value it holds for me personally is that it keeps me involved with a community in that I enjoy. If others want to place a value then so be it, but the true value of my collection is as you say "...memories in our heads and tell the stories on the forum".

I would sell every last card in a heartbeat if I could give a sizable amount to a good charity, and in fact I have done so many times in the past. And never once did it diminish the memories, stories, or involvement in what I like to do with regards to my hobby. I hope someday you learn to appreciate the hobby the way it was meant to be appreciated and realize that value is not important at all, nor are any given physical card, in comparison to the hobby culture, good people, and yes... memories.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Within 5 years of retirement, 78% of NFL players, 60% of NBA players bankrupt. MLB numbers are undoubtedly similar. Most athletes don't know people they can trust for reliable financial advice (that has a lot to do with background), yet there are lots of people around them looking to get a hand on the money: either for bad investments, or the fifth cousin twice removed who wants a handout.

Also, while most athletes seem to make a lot of money, most also have short careers. Additionally, most don't have other job skills to provide an income after they retire from sports. The average NFL tight end, for example, makes $863,000, and has a career of around 6 years. That's 5.2 million in lifetime earnings (before taxes, which will take half), which is not a huge amount, especially if you spend as if you're going to make $863,000/year for the rest of your life.
Livan made well over $50m and retired only a year ago. If he is bankrupt already then selling his baseball memorabilia is going to do him no good at all.

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009

Members online

No members online now.