Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Can anyone ID the set that these Giants cards are from?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
Giants posted this pic on Twitter a while back while wishing Matt Cain a happy birthday. He's holding some cards that I haven't seen before. Anyone know the set? I'm guessing it was some sort of SGA, but it doesn't appear to be one of the DAV sets or one of the Topps branded team sets they give out each year.

BVf61C_CUAAsMOE.jpg

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
Could be some old Junior Giants "Take me out to the ballgame" cards. The Junior Giants have a reward program where the coaches hand out cards to the kids when they demonstrate certain positive qualities. There are 8 cards that you can get by doing good stuff (all have good messages on them like Health, Integrity, Violence Prevention, Education, Confidence, Leadership, etc.), and if you get all 8, then you get a 9th "reward" card.

Here's a link to the current Junior Giants parent handbook:

http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/...2011/2011_jrgiants_player_parent_handbook.pdf

Scroll through that and you'll see the baseball card section a few pages in. The pictured cards are not the same as what's in your Matt Cain shot above, but that's why I say it could be some cards from a past year.

Here's another shot of an old Junior Giants handbook, and you can see that the cards on the cover more closely resemble what Matt has in his hands above:

2013July-Photo011.jpg

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
Could be some old Junior Giants "Take me out to the ballgame" cards. The Junior Giants have a reward program where the coaches hand out cards to the kids when they demonstrate certain positive qualities. There are 8 cards that you can get by doing good stuff (all have good messages on them like Health, Integrity, Violence Prevention, Education, Confidence, Leadership, etc.), and if you get all 8, then you get a 9th "reward" card.

Yeah, that looks like what they are. A quick search on Google and Ebay doesn't yield any pictures of these cards, or a checklist. Sigh.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
Yeah, that looks like what they are. A quick search on Google and Ebay doesn't yield any pictures of these cards, or a checklist. Sigh.

I guess you're gonna have to shake down some little leaguers for some cards, huh? On the site is a google map of local chapters, with contact info. Its a stretch, but maybe there are some coaches or people involved that have extra cards laying around...

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
My friend is the manager of the Giants Dugout store. I sent him a picture of the picture. Maybe he knows... I'll keep you posted.

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but does your friend have any access to those black & white cards they give away at the yearly Fan Fest? I'm never going to make it to a Fan Fest, but I really want to get the Meulens and Kelly cards from the last few years. For some reason they never show up on eBay.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
I guess you're gonna have to shake down some little leaguers for some cards, huh? On the site is a google map of local chapters, with contact info. Its a stretch, but maybe there are some coaches or people involved that have extra cards laying around...

Yeah, these don't appear to be extremely easy to come by...I'm guessing digicat's best bet is to pay them a visit and see if they'd be willing to give him a set. Maybe offer a trade for some other nice Giants cards that the coach could still give away to the kids. Or maybe offer to volunteer at a game/practice or two in exchange for a set :)

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but does your friend have any access to those black & white cards they give away at the yearly Fan Fest? I'm never going to make it to a Fan Fest, but I really want to get the Meulens and Kelly cards from the last few years. For some reason they never show up on eBay.

I can ask... When they do giveaways (like bobblehead day, for example), he gets one. But he only started there this past season... So i dont think he has any from previous years.

Members online

Latest posts