Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

That's "B" as in billion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
So far this off season, mlb teams have spent 1.5 BILLION dollars on free agents.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
So far this off season, mlb teams have spent 1.5 BILLION dollars on free agents.
They haven't spent $1.5 billion. They've signed players to multi-year contracts worth that much.
For instance, the Mariners haven't spent $240 million on Robinson Cano. They owe him that over ten years, and Seattle will probably trade him long before the contract ends.
You can say teams have signed contracts worth $1.5 billion over the next ten years, which isn't nearly as much as it sounds, since a large percentage of those contracts are multi-year deals.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
You might want to call mlbn and correct them because that's where it came from.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
You might want to call mlbn and correct them because that's where it came from.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
They haven't spent $1.5 billion. They've signed players to multi-year contracts worth that much.
For instance, the Mariners haven't spent $240 million on Robinson Cano. They owe him that over ten years, and Seattle will probably trade him long before the contract ends.
You can say teams have signed contracts worth $1.5 billion over the next ten years, which isn't nearly as much as it sounds, since a large percentage of those contracts are multi-year deals.

Yeah I don't know why people are saying that they are spending over a billion dollars. If you look at what they spent in only signing bonuses and next year salary it would be a lot lower.
1.5 billion is total of all deals, doesn't matter if they are a year or 10.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Either way you look at it, it's way too much for a pretty lousy FA class.

It's partially 'cuz of the new cash flowing from the new TV contracts but mostly because, like in every other Off-season, Owners and GMs convince themselves that they really need that one or two "pieces" and pay WAAAAAAY too much for it. Happens every year!

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
Either way you look at it, it's way too much for a pretty lousy FA class.

It's partially 'cuz of the new cash flowing from the new TV contracts but mostly because, like in every other Off-season, Owners and GMs convince themselves that they really need that one or two "pieces" and pay WAAAAAAY too much for it. Happens every year!
Yeah. This was a pretty sad class. After Cano there was little in terms of star power left. You could make a case for Ells but he has to prove that he can stay healthy. I'd say McCann had more star power than Choo as well. So really only maybe 3-4 total guys that were in the top ten at their positions IMO. Pitching was sad (Improvement now that Tanaka is posted however)

Members online