Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Masahiro Tanaka Will Be Posted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Here's hoping he lands with a high market team, such as the Cubs or Yanks. :)

Chris Cotillo‏@ChrisCotillo9m
Reports from Japan: Masahiro Tanaka will be posted. Big news.

Chris Cotillo‏@ChrisCotillo1m
Sponichi and Nikkan Sports were the ones who reported that Rakuten has decided to post Tanaka.

Last edited:

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/...ka.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Golden Eagles To Post Masahiro Tanaka

By Zach Links [December 24, 2013 at 5:35pm CST]

The Rakuten Golden Eagles have decided to post star pitcher Masahiro Tanaka, according to reports from Japanese outlets Sponichi (link) and Nikkan Sports (link). It's a turnaround from reports last week that indicated the Golden Eagles were leaning against allowing Tanaka to make the jump to MLB.

One MLB source tells David Kaplan of CSNChicago.com (on Twitter) that he believes the Cubs will not be outbid for Tanaka's services. Convincing Tanaka to come to Chicago, however, could prove to be problematic, according to that source. "This is exactly type deal that Theo [Epstein and] Jed Hoyer will be all in on. However, will Tanaka say no to the [Yankees, Dodgers, and others]? Not sure he will," the source told Kaplan (link).

Bruce Levine of 670thescore.com (Twitter link) adds that the Angels and DIamondbacks - who have been quite vocal about their fondness of Tanaka and overall need for a frontline starter - should also be in the mix for his services. Tanaka being posted also means good news for other free agent pitchers who have been in a holding pattern as clubs have waited for the top domino to drop.

Rakuten was planning a record NPB offer for Tanaka - roughly $7.7MM USD - but that's significantly less than what he's expected to get from an MLB club. One GM recently told Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com that Tanaka was certain to receive a deal worth more than $100MM if posted.

gogosox40

Mar 16, 2010
Chicagoland
Wow look at the chicago breaking news team there. Kaplin is a huge D-Bag.
That is all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Looks like it's a go.

Jim Allen‏@JballAllen
Source says Rakuten president Tachibana will soon hold a press conference announcing Masahiro @t_masahiro18 will be allowed to go to majors.

Patrick Newman‏@npbtracker
Rakuten has agreed to Tanaka's request to be posted, announcement expected today.

brian26

Nov 12, 2010
Wow look at the chicago breaking news team there. Kaplin is a huge D-Bag.
That is all.

Kap lost all credibility years ago, but to give you a flavor of how much of a d-bag this guy is, he basically had Girardi written-in as the Cubs 2014 manager no-questions-asked and then denied he ever said it.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Masahiro Tanaka Will Be Posted
December 25, 2013 by Ben Badler

Masahiro Tanaka is one step closer to pitching in Major League Baseball next season.

Tanaka’s Japanese team, the Rakuten Eagles, plan to make him available through the posting system, according to an announcement today from team president Yozo Tachibana. Several Japanese media outlets, including Nikkan Sports, reported the news earlier today.

The decision to post Tanaka, who becomes the best pitcher available on the market, should also push along the top of the free agent market for starting pitchers, as well as the trade market for Rays lefthander David Price. Several teams see Tanaka, 25, as a pitcher who can immediately step in as a frontline starter, with a fastball up to 96 mph, a devastating splitter and a slider that was inconsistent this season but flashed above-average at times.

In leading Rakuten to a Nippon Professional Baseball championship this past season, Tanaka posted a 1.27 ERA with 183 strikeouts and 32 walks in 212 innings. He was named the MVP of the Pacific League and won his second Sawamura Award, the Japanese equivalent of the Cy Young. He also ranked as the No. 1 prospect at the World Baseball Classic, ahead of Cuban first baseman Jose Abreu, who signed a six-year, $68 million deal with the White Sox in October.

The Eagles will set a “release fee” on Tanaka that will undoubtedly be for the maximum $20 million. Once the MLB commissioner’s office posts Tanaka, every MLB team will be free to negotiate with him, and the team that signs him will pay the release fee to Rakuten in installments. Once Tanaka is posted, he will have 30 days to reach an agreement with an MLB team or return to the Eagles.

gogosox40

Mar 16, 2010
Chicagoland
Kap lost all credibility years ago, but to give you a flavor of how much of a d-bag this guy is, he basically had Girardi written-in as the Cubs 2014 manager no-questions-asked and then denied he ever said it.

Oh I know. I live in Chicago area too. I always thought he was a major tool ever since seeing him on that sh*tty show on comcast. Tribune live or whatever its called now. I cant stand his voice and especially the way he talks to people.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
He will like the bronx ;)
+1

Gonna come down to the Dodgers, Cubs, Yankees. Don't see any other team coming close to those three. Mariners have said payroll is maxed, Angels don't have much payroll room (Trout gonna get a huge deal soon) and they are in flux and not ready to win.

I think he's a cub if Epstein can convince him to deal with losing for the first couple years and then have all the prospects come up. Otherwise its a two horse race.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Possible sign?

Dylan Hernandez ‏@dylanohernandez
Masahiro Tanaka has chosen Casey Close to be his agent, according to Sponichi. Close represents Clayton Kershaw and Zack Greinke.

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
Possible sign?

Masahiro Tanaka has chosen Casey Close to be his agent, according to Sponichi. Close represents Clayton Kershaw and Zack Greinke.

Close was also drafted by the Yankees and has represented Derek Jeter his entire career.

Possible sign?

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008

ok, so we'll know in Hot Stove 2014-2015 where Tanaka is going to play! ;) Look how long Close has taken to negotiate Kershaw's extension.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Mark Feinsand ‏@FeinsandNYDN
Source: Tanaka posting will begin Thursday morning and be completed by January 24 at 5:00 pm. The 30-day period means Tanaka will have to sign with a team by that date. Teams can bid the $20 million starting tomorrow morning to talk.