Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Where would this hobby be without eBay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
The thread about the change in eBay bucks that caused an uproar had me thinking, where would this hobby honestly be without eBay?

I'll let the conversation start to brew before I post some of my own thoughts!

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
This is my thought. I know boards would still exist, but I think prices would be a lot more owner-driven. You would more likely be able to command higher prices across the board due to lack of a major marketplace.

Does anyone else see the ironic parallel here?

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
The AOL.com trade boards existed prior to eBay.

Prices would be stronger since cards would tend to stay more regional.

I understand that the AOL boards existed, but I am referencing FCB in my post.

Not having eBay to reference prices alone would change this hobby dramatically. It is really amazing to think how great of an impact eBay not only has on this hobby, but most hobbies that involve collectibles.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
More LCS would probably still be in business.

Otherwise, my PC wouldn't be what it is. Actually, I might never of come back into the hobby.

Good topic. Give him FCB bucks or whatever!

---

Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
Non-auto/gu sets would definitely hold more value as well. Would be much harder putting any set together without eBay.

Probably wouldn't see nearly as many people busting the sheer quantity of products if they were limited to only moving them on a message board.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
That a lot of people would argue that more exposure opens the sale to more buyers - driving the price?

If so, I think it could go either way, but I think having less access to a reference point for prior sales favors a seller.

Here, allow me to point you to another website attempting to create a large marketplace also to drive costs down: www.healthcare.gov

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Hand in hand though is the fact that unless you know about an item, you are not buying it regardless of the price.

This is my thought. I know boards would still exist, but I think prices would be a lot more owner-driven. You would more likely be able to command higher prices across the board due to lack of a major marketplace.

Ebay made it as simple as could be for the average Joe to sell their cards to a mass market, something only established stores and dealers who advertised in national periodicals could do previously. That is what made ebay the giant they are today. Now you didn't have to buy from Kit Young or Bill Henderson or Larry Fritsch or the rest of the mail-order and/or local shop owners. That being said, for example, the guy in LA who didn't care about Roger Maris might have been willing to let a 61 Topps he had sitting around and couldn't trade go for cheap at auction on ebay, so the dealers in NYC who would get a premium from local buyers and targeted buyer who sought them out through their ads either had to wait out the "cheap" every man sales to get their price or adjust their price down to match the competition.

Further proof of the ebay impact is that just about every major card seller prior to ebay is selling on ebay now as part of their business plan or maybe some have altered it to only sell on ebay. You would have to have a piece of that ebay business to survive, would be my guess nowadays.

Last edited:

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
the hobby pre ebay was more regoinal, more lcs and more money in my pocket. card prices seemed higher. but thats just what i remember it to be.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
I understand that the AOL boards existed, but I am referencing FCB in my post.

Not having eBay to reference prices alone would change this hobby dramatically. It is really amazing to think how great of an impact eBay not only has on this hobby, but most hobbies that involve collectibles.

Sorry, i took the "these boards" comment to mean sport card forum in general.

eyedinh

Feb 9, 2013
There would be less of the "rip & flip" mentality and case breaking without eBay. IMHO.

Latest posts