Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Have you cornered the market on any serial numbered cards yet?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I know there are plenty of collectors who grab a single card and that is enough, but then there are those of us who will take duplicates and in some cases, as many of a card as they can find.

Have any of you collectors nabbed up ALL of a print run yet? If so, what is the largest print run out there that someone has monopolized? I know it is not easy! I am close on several #'d to 6 or less and I was able to capture 3/3 once (sorry to any of you Jackson or Randolph collectors out there cursing me).

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
As someone who puts various sets together, I have gone up against you and lost.. Here is one that I thought to myself, no one is going to go for this card.. but when I got outsniped, I was like what the heck..

The player collector won out..

Here is the set.. http://www.mcaf.com/pinbreaker/pers_coll/LL04/LL04.htm

and here is the card I picked up later..

steve-garvey.jpg

I guess I need to start making a stack of Garvey's when I come across them..

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Yes, set collectors can be a pain for player collectors and vice versa. Mine and yours are the only two I have ever seen offered for sale too. There are 3 more out there hiding someplace still!

As someone who puts various sets together, I have gone up against you and lost.. Here is one that I thought to myself, no one is going to go for this card.. but when I got outsniped, I was like what the heck..

The player collector won out..

Here is the set.. http://www.mcaf.com/pinbreaker/pers_coll/LL04/LL04.htm

and here is the card I picked up later..

steve-garvey.jpg

I guess I need to start making a stack of Garvey's when I come across them..

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
I do not think getting all 3 cards of a print run is a hard thing to do when there is not much competition for some players. getting all 10 or better, now that would be much harder to do.

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
I have 2/3 of two cards. The hard part is just finding them, and I haven't seen either of the other two cards. Ideally one would want to choose a card from a popular, high end product to try to corner. That way, a high percentage will hopefully be broken by more "serious" collectors, who are more likely to list the cards on eBay. Still, the more cards that are there, the more likely it is that one or more will remain in an unbroken box, or in someone's shoebox, collecting dust under the bed.

06-131-1-3.jpg

06-131-2-3.jpg

06-134-2-3.jpg

06-134-3-3.jpg

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
I have all 5 of the 5/5 '11 Topps Mueseum Josh Johnson auto'd cards. I think that's the set. I'll get pics after work. 15/50 of the '06 Ultimate Ensembles 3 auto's w/Weaver & Verlander. Many others as well.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Like LWMM notes below your post, sometimes getting all of the cards to show up is the hardest part, then you still need to purchase or trade for them. Considering that there are a bunch of people who bust new product and sell most of it on ebay, we are lucky to see what does show hop, but there are plenty of people out there that hold on to a nice card they pull just because they don't trade/sell or just would like to keep it despite not collecting that player, team or set. I probably have cards tucked away in my collection that others are actively seeking without even knowing it.

I do track sales of low print run Garvey cards, but only on ebay. To my knowledge, the remain ing cards i need for other smaller sets have never shown up, meaning they are either in personal collections, sitting on a card shore shift or possibly still inside packs!

Here I am missing 1 of the 6, but don't believe it ever showed up for sale. I actually hesitate to share the partial sets for fear of the "hostage" mentality some people have if they have a card they know someone really, really needs/wants, but then again it's not likely that one will show now and if one does and there are no other copies for other collectors to that point, it may sell strong enough anyway:

I do not think getting all 3 cards of a print run is a hard thing to do when there is not much competition for some players. getting all 10 or better, now that would be much harder to do.

Jun 26, 2013
Chicago
Mrmopar I totally agree with you about being in fear or hesitant to post exactly what you need. I collect Matt Holliday cards and have 5/10 of one of his sets of cards. I was working out a deal with a guy to acquire the 5th one and once I told him which I know was all my fault that card we ould give me 5 of them the price suddenly went way thru the roof.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008
I have 70% of a print run right now. The last 30% I may never see or it will take years for them to surface.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I had this SAME idea for a thread... cool idea. I don't have all copies of any Albert Belle card but have probably 10 copies of his 2001 SP Auto /88 and probably 25 copies of his sweet spot auto but no clue on the print run of those things

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
Not cornered, or even half, but I was very excited when I hit 40%. I currently have 11/25 of the Verlander Sterling Black Refractors. Here is the nicest one.

VerlanderBS001--2425.jpg

Members online

Latest posts