Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Homemade Card Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
I know we have a lot of extremely talented and artistic FCBers out there who make their own cards (patch cards, booklets, autos, new "vintage", etc), and I've seen a lot of hand-crafted, hand-distressed cards (Helmar, for one) on eBay selling at strong prices. I thought it would be fun to start a thread dedicated to discussing and showcasing the art of these cardboard craftsmen.

Here's a couple of sweet looking cut auto's I recently saw on eBay. I think the Lyons card is a much stronger design (if for no other reason than because he's pictured on the front of the card), but I really like the Spahn as well. Aside from the fact that I like all things Spahn, I think it's the colors/design of that cut check that I like most. It just has an interesting feel to it, kind of like an interesting piece of patch, or something. (Sorry...I don't have images of the reverse.)

Ted Lyons.JPG Warren Spahn.JPG

This guy had a couple dozen different designs that really impressed me. You can see on the Spahn that his cut wasn't perfect (top left corner you can see some feathering), but all in all I thought his product looked very professional.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I have been picking up 3x5s and cuts with the fantasy of doing that myself, but I am not talented with that sort of thing. I'd have to get some knowledge and practice before I tried anything for real. I don't think 3x5s by themselves are all that desirable, but the purist in me also makes me think it's not right to cut/alter the 3x5 either. When done right, it can take a boring 3x5 and make it a spectacular collectible though!

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
I have been picking up 3x5s and cuts with the fantasy of doing that myself, but I am not talented with that sort of thing. I'd have to get some knowledge and practice before I tried anything for real. I don't think 3x5s by themselves are all that desirable, but the purist in me also makes me think it's not right to cut/alter the 3x5 either. When done right, it can take a boring 3x5 and make it a spectacular collectible though!

Same here. I'd love to make some of my own cards but I don't have a good app for my computer yet like Photoshop or Illustrator. Once I get one of those, I'll be creating stuff non-stop.

As for the 3x5s...I've never seriously considered buying a signed 3x5 or even an old, signed check before, but after seeing some recent handmade cut autos online, I'm sold. I think I'm going to start buying some cheaper ones so I can possibly do this one day. I personally would have no problems cutting down a 3x5 or a check, though...as long as you had a solid looking card for it to go in. I'd test my card construction first and if it worked, THEN I'd cut the signature out.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts