Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Fans of "disappointing/terrible" teams: what was your less-obvious glimmer of hope?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
The Brewers' season was wrecked in May of last year, then they managed to wreck this year a bit by playing just hard enough at the end of the season to "unsecure" their draft pick. It was a pretty bad season.

My glimmer of hope was Jimmy Nelson. Milwaukee gave him a shot and it wasn't terrible. Plus Tyler Thornburg pitched well enough to keep his starting pitcher hopes alive.

The obvious good signs were Jean Segura making the All Star game, and Carlos Gomez setting himself up as the best center fielder in the NL.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
The Tigers are my team and they don't qualify as terrible these days, but I've always pulled for the Cubs in the NL. The MLB roster has been a mess for a few years now, but if you follow the Minor League scene, Theo has quietly built them an incredibly deep farm system that's also toploaded with potential superstars. Couple that with a few of the young talents on the big league roster (guys like Rizzo and Castro) and the Cubs look good to finally get out of the cellar and contend in the NL Central within the next 2-4 years. To answer the question in the OP, the glimmer of hope for the Cubs is their Top 10 prospect list, but specifically their big 5 - Baez/Bryant/Edwards/Almora/Soler.

Last edited:

IndiansFan

Aug 5, 2013
USA
I don't think that the Indians did terrible but they could have at least made the main playoffs. The glimmer of hope for the season was Yan Gomes. Now Cleveland can trade Santana if they have to and not worry about the catcher position.

socalyard

Feb 13, 2011
SoCal
The Angels are my team...ugh, its been rough. But I think that there is some hope. First of all, Albert Pujols has been cleared as having a clean bill of health for the first time in about four years according to he his doctors and the team. Hopefully a healthy strong base will help him get that power stroke back and show us fans shadows of what he was. Josh Hamilton was awful last year but what a lot of people don't realize is that he hit something like .370 over the last couple months of the season. Maybe he will carry that into 2014. Those bats along with Trout and guys like Ibanez, Kendrick, and Freese can be the most dangerous in the league.

Pitching wise, they still need another big starter. Garza or Tanaka would make a world of difference going along with what they have now.

There! What? I can dream, right?

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
1. The Rockies got some pretty damn good pitching from their 1-2 pitchers (Chacin and De la Rosa)
2. Nolan Arenado played very well as a rookie.
3. Todd Helton will be hunting next summer, which is a good thing for the team. It is bittersweet to see him retire, as he is my favorite player but was not producing offensively from the 1st base position. Putting Justin Morneau there should improve scoring.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
The Brewers' season was wrecked in May of last year, then they managed to wreck this year a bit by playing just hard enough at the end of the season to "unsecure" their draft pick. It was a pretty bad season.

My glimmer of hope was Jimmy Nelson. Milwaukee gave him a shot and it wasn't terrible. Plus Tyler Thornburg pitched well enough to keep his starting pitcher hopes alive.

The obvious good signs were Jean Segura making the All Star game, and Carlos Gomez setting himself up as the best center fielder in the NL.

On the same page here. Segura blew first year expectations away. Will be interesting to see how his 2nd full year goes, particularly against central teams. I do have creeping feelings that Gomez had a career year and won't come close to those numbers again. Would be happy to be dead wrong!

Edit to add- less obvious glimmer of hope: seems the organization is finally ready to at least consider the possibility that Rickie Weeks doesn't need to be penciled in every day

Last edited:

BrewerSuperCollector

Aug 10, 2008
On the same page here. Segura blew first year expectations away. Will be interesting to see how his 2nd full year goes, particularly against central teams. I do have creeping feelings that Gomez had a career year and won't come close to those numbers again. Would be happy to be dead wrong!

Edit to add- less obvious glimmer of hope: seems the organization is finally ready to at least consider the possibility that Rickie Weeks doesn't need to be penciled in every day

Segura had a phenomenal first half. The second half more down to earth.

Rickie Weeks better not get 600 PA 's for his contract to be extended for the 2015 season.

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
1. The Rockies got some pretty damn good pitching from their 1-2 pitchers (Chacin and De la Rosa)
2. Nolan Arenado played very well as a rookie.
3. Todd Helton will be hunting next summer, which is a good thing for the team. It is bittersweet to see him retire, as he is my favorite player but was not producing offensively from the 1st base position. Putting Justin Morneau there should improve scoring.

The Rockies are the biggest anomaly team in MLB. They have the unique problems of not only finding pitchers who can pitch at altitude, they also have to find pitchers / hitters who can make major adjustments to their arm slot delivery / swing at sea level. It's been a problem for the team all 20 years of it's existence. The 2007 season is what I always look to to remember that they can compete.

gitarst182

Sep 17, 2011
Washington
Mariners...hope? My hope is still that kyle seager becomes an even better hitting 3B and carries this team after he knocks in 115 rbi's with singles, doubles and a .305 avg. Cano can handle the HR's. Also hoping the crop of Paxton, Walker and Hultzen become what they were scouted to be. Then again this is the Seattle mariners..

Sent from my BOOMSTICK!

Members online