Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Bill Mastro Admits to Fraud

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
While it has been common knowledge that the Gretzky/McNall Wagner was trimmed, it's interesting to read that Bill Mastro has admitted to doing so in a plea agreement in court.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/...luding-doctoring-expensive-baseball-card.html

This part is infuriating: "
Prosecutors say he won’t have to pay restitution to the collectors he conned, because calculating their losses would be too complex."

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
Well, why would the expect him to pay back the people he scammed? That would just make too much sense.

If he isn't dead broke by the end of this, the punishment is too little.

NY Tony

Mar 29, 2013
Until someone caught of fraud is really punished.... Then there isn't much to deter others from committing hobby crimes

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
I applaud the judge for not accepting the deal and hope he does it again. Put him in a Federal Pound Me In The Ass Prison for a long time like he deserves.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
I applaud the judge for not accepting the deal and hope he does it again. Put him in a Federal Pound Me In The Ass Prison for a long time like he deserves.

I'm not sure getting ***** is appropriate punishment, but I hope he is broke and prospectless once all is said and done.

gogosox40

Mar 16, 2010
Chicagoland
This is pretty old news from like Oct. I guess if you dont live around Chicago news like this doesn't reach everyone.

This guy has money. He lives a few miles from me in a 6 bed, 6.5 bath, 10000 sq. ft. house. I doubt this will make him go broke. He is a pud.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
Ive always thought the card was altered, especially after reading the book "the Card". Its a good read, and should be required reading by us.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
This card has been known in the hobby to be sheet cut for a decade or two. As a matter of fact another rare T206 (Plank?) supposedly came from the same strip of cards and has also been graded fairly high. There is no doubt that Mastro and his co-conspirators Doug Allen and Mark Theotikos (who are also indicted and who Mastro is singing to the Feds about) are turds. I have had a few occasions to deal with Mastronet and Doug Allen specifically and I have never felt so dirty after dealing with them as I have with anyone in the hobby.

This is certainly old news and has been hashed over on many of the hobby message boards I stop by. I think the Allen/Theotikos trial is still waiting to happen so more news is sure to come.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Must suck to be Ken Kendrick right now.

Actually, many feel, including me, that the legend of this card will help keep the prices from falling. Make no mistake that this card is an exceptional card and many have known for decades that this card has been trimmed. I dont think there will be a value loss for this card if and when Kendrick goes to sell it. As a matter of fact I believe the next time it gets sold it will be sold at a price higher than it was purchased because of it's legendary status

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
A bit off topic but what ever became of the JO sports guy who was faking game used jerseys? I know he was pleading guilty but what was the outcome?

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
Actually, many feel, including me, that the legend of this card will help keep the prices from falling. Make no mistake that this card is an exceptional card and many have known for decades that this card has been trimmed. I dont think there will be a value loss for this card if and when Kendrick goes to sell it. As a matter of fact I believe the next time it gets sold it will be sold at a price higher than it was purchased because of it's legendary status

It's possible. Maybe the mentality of someone that can afford that card is different than mine. Now knowing it's history, I don't know if I would want to own it at that price. I guess I don't really need to worry about it, though...LOL

Members online

Latest posts