Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Regional or local oddities - Items that just all but disappear shortly after issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
It always amazes me how many items are issued/released in the collectible arena, yet so much of the regional stuff seems to dry up completely for good. I guess that can be said for a lot of the national issues, especially since everything that is made now days is so much more limited in quantity top begin with. you see it with certain card sets. When they go live, for several weeks or more you see the same cards listed. Eventually the case breakers and box rippers slow down or more to the next produce, then you never see anything new listed from that point on, except in rare instances. Yet, weekly we have to wade through listings for 1981 Topps Supers, 1983 Purina sets, 1982 Kmart mvp sets, 1987 tops coins, 1986 Donruss Action All stars, etc. Imagine all 80s crap that everyone has more than they can ever need, but you all know that there are little gems in there, issued in the same time frame, that never show up. it doesn't always have to be a key card set either, just issues that are surprising and refreshing to see when they do come up for sale.

SGAs and regionally advertised/distributed items are what I was thinking about mostly. Being a Dodger fan in Seattle, I probably miss out on a lot of great stuff that won't be available in my area. This doesn't concern me as much these days, but being a kid collecting in the 70s in So. Cal. would have certainly offered my more Dodger opportunities the way I had with the Mariners. I know there is Mariner and Seahawks stuff that floats around here that I might not think twice about, but someone is NYC or Alabama may love to have it, but why do you think we don't see more of it listed on ebay?

One item that I recently rediscovered while organizing is this Miller Lite mini poster. It was from their 50th anniversary campaign in 2008. I'm afraid that I can't tell you much more about it, but it must feature Steve Garvey, because it was in my misc. Garvey box. I have debated over opening it, as I don't remember what it looks like. I will have to assume when I bought it, the seller may have had an opened one as a sample to see. You can see Tommy Davis and that is it. I can't remember how big it is, but probably no larger than 11x14. It is sealed in a plastic bag and it makes sense and I seem to remember that when distributed originally, they were stuck on cases of beer. Not sure if they were inside the case or outside, probably inside with advertising on the outside. I do remember that there were not a lot of them selling at the time and they have essentially disappeared for good it seems.

I suppose lots of these got tossed while still in their sealed bags if the average beer drinker didn't care about insert posters and just tossed them out with the empties. Underage collectors, who may have been more apt to save them, may not have even been aware or may have had a hard time getting access to them. There are all kinds of products that we saw at one time and have never seen since. Newspaper posters and card sets, restaurant issues, proportional give aways, team issue sets, SGAs, etc.

Share some of what you have in your collection that you feel is fairly hard to find these days, at least outside of your home collecting range.

This goes along with another toughie, at least they were not sold on ebay much at all. Probably a ton went to the recycle centers or the landfills.

And if there are any LA people who wouldn't mind looking out for unique Garvey stuff for a Seattle resident, please let me know.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I looked at some of the other pictures in the album. Neat to see some names I recognize as well. Those would make great finds for other minor player collectors as well.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
There was apparently a similar sticker/stamp set issued for the winter league in the Dominican Republic for the 1984-85 season, featuring a ton of major leaguers (a very young Fred McGriff being the most prominent), but the only image I've been able to turn up is a single Cookie Rojas from the set. Both Beckett and SCD have a checklist that is only about 65% complete.

What I've learned about those winter league sticker sets is that if you are hunting for a player from one of them, snag it just as soon as you see it, because you may never see another.

Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
See, with the internet and global reach, how is this stuff not showing up? Are people just holding on to it? Do people who have it not realize the potential demand? In some poorer countries, maybe the word is not spreading as well. It just seems like if that stuff was around, it would be making it's way to the market.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
To digress from the topic a bit....

This is one of those areas where I wish the folks who spent the past few decades compiling the Beckett Almanac and the Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards had held on to their source material, or at least published their research in some format. In order for them to have come up with a 65% complete checklist for an obscure Dominican sticker set, someone must have seen a copy of the album, as they typically didn't build or include checklists purely off hearsay. It's too bad that no one at either company thought that someone in the future might have any interest in that information and preserved it somehow. I know Bob Lemke ended up with a bunch of stuff from the Standard Catalog, but there is no one left at Beckett from the old days of two or three ownership changes ago. What the hobby really needs is some sort of group of historians to help keep the details straight.

Now it will be more a matter of archaeology to reverse engineer the two big books to figure out where these set listings came from to start with. In a lot of cases, it's fairly clear which group copied from the other by the accuracy of the checklists and detail in the set description. In many cases, there's barely any description to work with. We're not exactly starting over, but in a way it is even more frustrating to KNOW something exists (or at least existed in the last 20 years to be cataloged) and then vanished without a trace.

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
And if there are any LA people who wouldn't mind looking out for unique Garvey stuff for a Seattle resident, please let me know.

Drop me a PM,if you are serious. I've got a couple boxes of Dodgers oddball stuff from the 70's and 80's. All too often I pull out stuff for people only to get ignored when I tell them what I have found for them.

thanks
tom

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Tom, I am very serious. If you have or come across unique Garvey items that I don't have, I would be interested. For example, Garvey had a Nature Balance jumbo card that must have been given out at a signing. Luckily someone listed ONE on ebay. That is all I have seen of this item. I'll try to dig it up and scan it for reference. It is stuff like that, which is only available for a limited time or in limited areas, that slips by the rest of the collecting world w/ little to no notice.

Of course, price is always a consideration and as long as you didn't have something exceedingly rare and anything else was fair market value, then it shouldn't be a waste of time. As for other Dodger stuff, I am interested in certain items, but not everything in general. I collect the postcards, 5x7 B&W Team Issue or Jay Photos, the white framed 8x10 color photos (also team issue I believe) and things like that. I don't need any of the mass produced stuff like 1980 police sets, Mothers Cookies, Smokey sets, etc.

I tried to find someone when these beer cans and bottles were new, who would buy full ones for me, but couldn't find any takers. Now that Facebook has opened up the world of communication more, I do have better contact with a group of my southern California relatives, but none of them are collectors. I wouldn't want to put them on a hunt that they had no knowledge for.

Drop me a PM,if you are serious. I've got a couple boxes of Dodgers oddball stuff from the 70's and 80's. All too often I pull out stuff for people only to get ignored when I tell them what I have found for them.

thanks
tom

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Recently discovered Chicago Cubs "Kidding Around" newsletters from the mid 1990's. One had a great coloring page of Mark Grace, and another had him as a scrambled photo on the front cover.

95CUBSKIDDINGAROUND.jpg

94KIDDINGAROUND.jpg

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
Tom, I am very serious. If you have or come across unique Garvey items that I don't have, I would be interested. For example, Garvey had a Nature Balance jumbo card that must have been given out at a signing. Luckily someone listed ONE on ebay. That is all I have seen of this item. I'll try to dig it up and scan it for reference. It is stuff like that, which is only available for a limited time or in limited areas, that slips by the rest of the collecting world w/ little to no notice.

Of course, price is always a consideration and as long as you didn't have something exceedingly rare and anything else was fair market value, then it shouldn't be a waste of time. As for other Dodger stuff, I am interested in certain items, but not everything in general. I collect the postcards, 5x7 B&W Team Issue or Jay Photos, the white framed 8x10 color photos (also team issue I believe) and things like that. I don't need any of the mass produced stuff like 1980 police sets, Mothers Cookies, Smokey sets, etc.

I tried to find someone when these beer cans and bottles were new, who would buy full ones for me, but couldn't find any takers. Now that Facebook has opened up the world of communication more, I do have better contact with a group of my southern California relatives, but none of them are collectors. I wouldn't want to put them on a hunt that they had no knowledge for.

Imbrowsed through the box of Dodgers stuff. Here's a rough idea...

Black and white team set from the 70's. I bought these at Dodgers stadium when I was a kid. The envelope is a bit beat up but the 5x7's are in good shape.

Color 8x10 that I think we're stadium give away items. I found a few with Garvey on them but I have many others like Roy Campanella. The 8x10 with Garvey are "home run Hostory Makers", "league Championship Series 1977", "10th Player" and "1981 World Series"

i also have 1987 and 1988 season ticket forms that were mailed to perspective season ticket buyers. Year books, programs, ticket stubs, etc. A box of dodgers cereal somewhere and a bottle of Dodger Blue water. The plastic bottle has some scratches on it but the seal is intact.

Let me know if any of this sounds interesting. I'm not looking to get rich. Mostly looking to downsize and free up some space. If you find something you are interested in we can come up with a fair price and then I'll throw in some free stuff to fill out any package that I send.

Also, I have that SMS Miller Lite poster. I opened it and took a peek. Garvey is indeed in the poster.

I'm leaving town on Mon-Wed so please forgive any delays in communication.

tom

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
The 5x7 set sounds promising. The 8x10s sound like the Union 76 prints. If so, i have all of those.

If you can scan items, that is helpful, as i can determine if i have something quickly from a scan, where descriptions can be confusing or inadequate.

I'd love to see a scan of the poster too, so I can resist the urge to rip mine open. Thanks.

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
The 5x7 set sounds promising. The 8x10s sound like the Union 76 prints. If so, i have all of those.

If you can scan items, that is helpful, as i can determine if i have something quickly from a scan, where descriptions can be confusing or inadequate.

I'd love to see a scan of the poster too, so I can resist the urge to rip mine open. Thanks.

Poster is too big for my scanner. PM your email address and I'll send over scans. Or PM your mobile number and I could send pics from my iPhone.

thanks for the info on the 8x10. I had a gut feeling they were some Union 76 promo like the pins.

Members online