Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Craigslist Purchase - Screw Down Case Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

walkman506

Feb 23, 2013
Bought a nice haul off of craigslist recently. Two of the cards seem to have flattened out from being in screw down cases. They are even a little longer and wider because of being in there so. Wondering if anyone has seen this before. See pics. Thanks for any insight. The two cards that seemed to flatten are the Nolan Ryan rookie and the 69 Mantle.

Attachments

• photo (3).JPG
    photo (3).JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 184

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
If this is a real post, I'd send every single one of those cards into PSA or BGS for grading, as those are cards that are very often counterfeited and you may have been taken for a ride by your seller.

A_Pharis

Bought a nice haul off of craigslist recently. Two of the cards seem to have flattened out from being in screw down cases. They are even a little longer and wider because of being in there so. Wondering if anyone has seen this before. See pics. Thanks for any insight. The two cards that seemed to flatten are the Nolan Ryan rookie and the 69 Mantle.

All of them are fake. Get your money back.

walkman506

Feb 23, 2013
Moe pics

Why do you all assume these are fake. They are not and I did get them off Craigslist. Met a guy who had collected a long time.

I am asking has anyone seen cards that spend a long time in screw down case change over time. I mean like 20 years plus... Thanks.

Attachments

• photo (4).JPG
    photo (4).JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 92
  • photo (3).JPG
    photo (3).JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 93

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
Why do you all assume these are fake. They are not and I did get them off Craigslist. Met a guy who had collected a long time.

I am asking has anyone seen cards that spend a long time in screw down case change over time. I mean like 20 years plus... Thanks.

the same way you assume theyre not.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Come on man! Would have been better if you said you found them all in a hole in a wall when you were remodeling

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Not trying to burst your bubble op, but what others have been trying to say in perhaps a 'not so welcoming' or a bit less than sympathetic tone is that every single one of those cards you purchased (together in a lot) are some of, if not the top of a select few respectively, that are the most common and thus realistic forged cards today. They have been forged to the point that it takes someone with a good working knowledge of said specific forged cards to even notice. Perhaps if it was an assorted vintage lot with just one of them in there it could be plausible, but finding a lot where virtually every single card is of the kin, it just screams 'red flag'. Couple that with the fact they all look pretty good in the photos and that leads one to consider why one would not grade them to surely increase value to a large order of magnitude...? If he knew enough to get those specific cards then surely he knew enough of the extreme benefit of grading such cards...

Taking all the context together, and assuming you probably bought these for what... 10% - 15% of current sell value, yes? And it is a pretty reasonable assumption you have been had. I'll tell you what, provide a proper scan of the Jordan and I will tell you without a shred of doubt if it is fake or not, and even provide you with the proof of claim. That alone should stand as a good indicator as to if the rest are worth while.

EDIT: on a side note, and assuming this is not a troll thread, maybe we can be a little more welcoming and warm to newer posters? The tone of some response here ranges from cold and matter or factually to down right unwelcoming. I would think that with Gilmore trying everything he can to boost forum participation, and making that clear to everyone, we would be trying to do a little better, no?

Last edited:

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
To the OP, with all questions of authenticity aside, the number one biggest issue you're likely to have with cards that have been compressed in those types of screw-down holders for so long is that the gloss on the card becomes stuck to the inside of the holder. The cards are essentially glued to the inside of the holder and are impossible to remove without damaging them. Even if you sent them for grading/authentication I believe they would just be returned unslabbed.

- Rodrick

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I get why people are hesitant to believe these are real, as they are some of the most faked cards on craigslist, but the fakes aren't usually slightly off-centered like a few of these are. They could very well be real, although I would be skeptical until I saw them up close.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Isn't the fact that the topic of the thread is a few of them aren't of actual size but larger than an actual card also give is a hint that they might be fake? Cut wrong?

Get a scanner and scan them up. A lot of knowledgable guys on here who can help.

Either way, I'd 100% get them graded and when some come back fake, I'd hope that Craigslist guy is still around depending on what you bought that lot for.

Which by the way, I asked about what you paid or how good a deal you got... Can at least tell me to go F myself and not ignore me.

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

darrend505

Aug 9, 2008
Sorry to say, but every post that states these are fake are right. I put together a 1954 Bowman set, and I can tell you that that Williams is no good!

raddison1972

Jan 4, 2013
Pearland, Texas
Screw Down Holder Issues

walkman506,
My experience with screw down holders is they're not good. They can visibly press the edges of the card, but I've not seen it change the size very much. I had a 54 Aaron rookie card in a screw down holder to protect it since the late 80's. A dealer talked me into it when I was a teenager. He put clear pieces of soft plastic between the front and back of the card as he stated the gloss could get stuck to the hard plastic holders. It was a rather large holder that was clear plastic with no recess for the card in it. I removed it from this holder about 10 years ago and it had pressed edges but the size wasn't impacted. The bad part was the soft plastic didn't cover the entire surface of the card, so there is a pressed line framing the card very near the edge. I had about 10 others in screw downs too, but they had a recess for the card to rest in and did no damage at all. Personally I would never use a screw down case that doesn't have a recess to allow the card to move within the case after the screws are in place.

Maybe this helps.

BTW, I agree with many of the others on this thread that question the authenticity of these cards. Buying raw vintage cards on Ebay is questionable, buying them on craigslist is even more questionable in my opinion. Everybody has an opinion though, so I'd use one of the graders to help you with their expertise. You've either got a decent payday or you're out a few hundred bucks I'd guess. Good luck with em!

Ryan

Gonzaleznut

Aug 9, 2010
Texas
Impossible to tell about authenticity without seeing better scans of the cards, but I would be worried. Those are some pretty iconic cards. Did you buy any others or was this it?

walkman506

Feb 23, 2013

I am new to the thread and understand the risks of craiglists. Posting scans now and enjoy the feedback. Just be weary to judge so quickly. i've researched these and actually called the guy back after i bought them, worried of fakes, he called back, is open to meeting again etc... I didn't pay 10% of book for these. I paid a good bit of money. Thanks for the replies

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 47

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I'm no pro and will punt to the other guys but that Jordan looks amazing if real. Still curious what you paid or whatever but understand you not wanting to tell us. For your sake, hope they're all real but I'd get them all graded for sure.

walkman506

Feb 23, 2013
more pics

the jordan has a hairline crease on bottom left corner, hard to see. the bird rookie is a solid card, should be a nice grade. the williams has scuffs and some rough spots on front. i'm going to get them graded shortly and will let you know what happens.

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 29

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts