Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

If you are a player collector, what TYPE of player collector are you ?

What type of player collector are you

• Collect only with the 'home' team and then stop when they're traded or sign elsewhere

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Just pick up certain types of cards (patches, 1/1's, auto's, serial #'d parallel's, etc)

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Go bonkers and get whatever I can, within my budget

Votes: 38 71.7%
  • Just pick up stuff that appeals to my eyes and am satisfied with that

Votes: 7 13.2%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
And explain why. Or at least I'd like to know the reasoning why.

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
I picked go bonkers within in a budget. I started collecting only cards and posters when I was a kid. Since then I have expanded my Puckett collection to include lots of things like magazines, plastic cups, uncut sheet posters(Like King B sets) and other oddballs. My main focus is still cards but now when there is a slow time in my collection there are many low end items that I can pick up.

TGutta

May 30, 2010
Minnetonka, Minnesota
After Denard Span was traded to Washington I had a really long debate with myself if I would continue to pick up his cards in a Nationals uniform. At first I decided to just get what I could and not get upset when I missed out on something, but that quickly turned around and now I'm picking up that stuff just as much as his Twins stuff. Don't think I'll ever be able to go all out on another player like I do with him though.

BenG76

May 15, 2013
Fancy Gap, VA
On my McGriff PC I try to get whatever I can. I am mainly focused on the base and insert cards but pick up other stuff as I go along as well. He played for my team I PC the Cubs for just a short period but I do get two copies of his base cards so I have one in each PC. I might not would go that far with inserts and parallels and such though.

brewerfan99

Sep 7, 2010
Wisconsin
I used to pick up every different Braun I could afford. After a while that got to be a bit much. Financially speaking. Now I only pick up cards that I really like. On card Autos ... Patches ... Jumbo relics. I don't spend as much and still have a sweet collection. In my mind anyway. I still only pick up different cards ... the only exception to that is my desire to add every copy I can of the 2005 Bowman Heritage "Signs of Greatness" Red Ink autos. I've got 8 of the 51 in existence. Unfortunately it's Been a while since I've seen one for sale.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Anything picturing him and most anything else that mentions him (I decided to include team chest lists and checklists, but have not actually gone back through to pull them from the commons). I will draw the line at a brief mention in the text body of a card. i do like to pull magazines that have photos or articles as well, but that can get overwhelming too.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
In the '80s and '90s, I bought every Rickey Henderson card I could.
Same with Andre Ethier and Jeff Francis their first few years.

Then I learned to control my spending and only buy what appeals to me and I'm so much happier now because I don't feel pressured to buy everything.
It was almost like an addiction before and I didn't appreciate what I had. I would spend more time scouring eBay than looking at my collection.

So I'm still a player collector (and set collector and TTM autograph collector), but the hobby is much more fulfilling now because there's no pressure or stress to it anymore.
And that's what a hobby should be.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Mark Grace - Everything I can. I love that he spent most of his career with my favorite team. I faced the decision of whetheror not to collect him as a Diamondback. I knew his career wouldn't last much longer after he got traded, so I decided to go ahead and keep buying his cards. There were great DLP products at the time and it was fun adding patch and auto cards to the collection in 2001-2005. His WS ring in 2001 also made it easier to appreciate him as a D-back.

Don Zimmer - Everything I can find. I love his many-stepped career path as a player, coach and manager. I like that I get to collect cards from 1952 all the way until today. What a career in baseball!

Rabbit Maranville - The under $50 collection. Vintage can be expensive. I set a limit of $50 or under per card. I'm okay with lower quality cards in this PC. It keeps it fun, and doesn't break my wallet.

Hack Wilson - Just game used bat cards. He has several, doesn't have any jersey cards. Just a minor collection for me.

Yogi Berra - Mostly limited to GU and Auto cards issued by Donruss/Leaf/Playoff. I like the DLP products that showed the actual jersey on back, so I collect Berra mostly on those types of cards from 2001-2005. He has quite a few!

Buck O'Neil - Just certified, pack-issued autograph cards. Great guy, under appreciated cards.

jay1065

Aug 7, 2008
Lowell, MA
Depends on the player. I started collecting during Ellis Burks rookie year and stopped right around '94 (give or take.) I was a huge fan of his during that time, so now I only collect cards and memorabilia featuring him with the Red Sox.

With my new Mike Cameron collection, I plan on going all out (within budget.)

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Jeff Cirillo- Everything
Dale Sveum- Everything
Rob Deer- Everything
Jeromy Burnitz- Mostly everything but not necessarily spending cash on any card I don't have

dstrawberryfan39

Oct 16, 2013
Darryl strawberry I have collected him for 25 years. I get anything and everything I can.

Jeff reed (baseball player) he lives in my hometown and is a friend of my family. I need about 10 cards to have them all!

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Griffey jr:
this collection has taken many forms. When I was younger it was only what I could pull from packs. After I got older and had my own income (about 98) it became anything with his picture on it. eBay (2001-2002)was not friendly to me.. Taken by fakes or greedy sellers many times. Took a two year break and started trading only on Beckett where my collection grew to where it sits now at just over 1600 diff. Use eBay To buy autos and the occasional g/u but I'm much choosier about it

Felix hernandez: tried it, couldn't get into it. Still like a nice auto once in a while. Same for edgar martinez and ichiro. Have a ton of inserts/base I need to clear of both of them

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
For Randy Johnson I'm most preoccupied with Diamondback cards from 99 to 03/04. I guess when it comes to cards outside of this it's not that I won't buy, but my threshold is must lower. On-card autos of D-Back cards I will go balls to the wall for. A sticker auto Yankees, it's more of "if no one else wants it i'll give you some action". When your PC guy has 10,000+ cards, it makes sense to be a tad more picky-choosy with what you go after (sounds funny from a guy with 4K RJ cards). I'm partial to on card autos & #'d refractors. I think Leaf Exhibits (Truly yours etc) is stupid and refuse to participate.

I think over PC guys are similar, we are partial to certain years/teams. I think 99-01 are the best years for RJ cards and any I don't have (very few) are of more concern than a 2005 1/1 where there were 7 versions of "1 of 1" made.

NE12BC12

Aug 5, 2011
Go bonkers and get whatever I can, within my budget

Just seams to be the correct thing to do.
Maybe their is a difference between "Player Collector" and "Super Collector".
As far as my Player Collector part of my PC goes, I only collect one so I look for everything. When it comes to my Team PC I'm only really looking for one card of each player.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Go bonkers and get whatever I can, within my budget

Just seams to be the correct thing to do.
Maybe their is a difference between "Player Collector" and "Super Collector".
As far as my Player Collector part of my PC goes, I only collect one so I look for everything. When it comes to my Team PC I'm only really looking for one card of each player.

I don't think that limits ya in your thinking if you're a 'super' collector or not. Not all 'super' collectors have deep pockets.

Members online

Latest posts