Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ever Had Stolen Cards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
When I was a kid I had a few cards stolen.Most of my family lived close together, so on occasion we would have a lot of family over at our place if someone graduated, etc.I always kept my cards under my bed so I could easily take them out if I ever wanted to look at them.One time we had family over for something, while we were outside doing something, a cousin I was good friends with told me another cousin I didn't talk too often was in my room snooping around and he thought may have taken some of my cards.Later that day I went into my room and noticed a couple Puckett cards missing (he was a Puckett collector).At that time I was only 15 or so, was too gutless and didn't wan't to believe he would take him, so I never talked to him about it.In the end, the cards aren't worth much today, but to this day I never forgot about that, and rarely talk to him when I see him at family events.He just isn't someone I want to be friends with even if the cards aren't worth much.

Have you ever had any cards stolen?If so, what were they, and did you get them back?If you did, how did you get them back?

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Yep. 6th grade I took my better cards to school and let someone borrow my binder during a periods to look at them. It was a good life lesson I suppose but I definitely cried at the time lol

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Yep. 6th grade I took my better cards to school and let someone borrow my binder during a periods to look at them. It was a good life lesson I suppose but I definitely cried at the time lol

What cards did you lose?Did you get them back?

You remember those mini albums that were compact enough to easily take with you that held 80 cards or so?I remember when I was a kid I took those mini albums full of my better cards to trade to school.Back then cards were way more popular with kids, and it seemed like every guy in my class collected.We would look at cards during class and trade so much the teacher had to tell us to put them away.I think I may have had some even taken away at some point.Anyway, good memories back then.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
What cards did you lose?Did you get them back?

You remember those mini albums that were compact enough to easily take with you that held 80 cards or so?I remember when I was a kid I took those mini albums full of my better cards to trade to school.Back then cards were way more popular with kids, and it seemed like every guy in my class collected.We would look at cards during class and trade so much the teacher had to tell us to put them away.I think I may have had some even taken away at some point.Anyway, good memories back then.

Mattingly, McGwire, Griffey, Canseco rookies....guys that were all the rage in '89. Easily replaced nowadays, not as easy then. The one that hurt was a McGwire Rated Rookie I had signed.in person at County Stadium the night Canseco reached 40/40. Never got them back but have replaced them in adulthood like a bandaide lol

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Mattingly, McGwire, Griffey, Canseco rookies....guys that were all the rage in '89. Easily replaced nowadays, not as easy then. The one that hurt was a McGwire Rated Rookie I had signed.in person at County Stadium the night Canseco reached 40/40. Never got them back but have replaced them in adulthood like a bandaide lol

Yeah, those were big money cards then.When I was a kid I was a big Canseco collector, and would trade for all I could get.I remember looking at an old Beckett then and seeing a Canseco rookie listed for $125 or something thinking "that's a card I will never be able to own".I bought a rookie of his for a dollar at my shop one time.Remember when Davis, Gooden, Strawberry, Clark rookies sold for good money?

Did you meet McGwire outside stadium?Who else did you get?

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Yeah, those were big money cards then.When I was a kid I was a big Canseco collector, and would trade for all I could get.I remember looking at an old Beckett then and seeing a Canseco rookie listed for $125 or something thinking "that's a card I will never be able to own".I bought a rookie of his for a dollar at my shop one time.Remember when Davis, Gooden, Strawberry, Clark rookies sold for good money?

Did you meet McGwire outside stadium?Who else did you get?

No Mac was signing by the dugout before the game. Don't think I got anyone else on that night. I remember those times well. When the '87 Fleer Clark was hot I talked my mom into buying me one at flea market for $25 when it booked $15. My friends gave me hell until the next month's pricing came out and the Clark had an up arrow next to $27 and vindication was mine!

SteelBrad

Mar 2, 2013
Those were the days. I remember staying up late with my brother and his friends while trading cards and watching the early years of Baseball Tonight.

My brother had a job so he had what seemed to be unlimited income to go buy cards. It pained me to see him bring wax boxes home multiple times a week while my allowance could afford 10 packs a week. :)

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Had a kid throw my bag pack out into the hallway in between classes when I wasn't looking. Sure enough somebody had went through it and stolen my cards out of it. I was so pissed. Never got them back and actually stopped collecting for a while.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
No Mac was signing by the dugout before the game. Don't think I got anyone else on that night. I remember those times well. When the '87 Fleer Clark was hot I talked my mom into buying me one at flea market for $25 when it booked $15. My friends gave me hell until the next month's pricing came out and the Clark had an up arrow next to $27 and vindication was mine!

That McGwire would be some card to have today.I wonder how much his signature has changed?Wasn't Canseco the first to go 40-40?

I thought Clark rookies booked for more then?Yeah, Beckett prices were quite volatile then, prices often doubling or tripling from one issue to the next.

Wasn't the '85 Topps Davis rookie a $40 card at one point?

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
That McGwire would be some card to have today.I wonder how much his signature has changed?Wasn't Canseco the first to go 40-40?

I thought Clark rookies booked for more then?Yeah, Beckett prices were quite volatile then, prices often doubling or tripling from one issue to the next.

Wasn't the '85 Topps Davis rookie a $40 card at one point?

Don't remember the Davis pricing but I know the Clark got up to at least $35 at one point. Yep Canseco was the first, wish I had kept the ticket stub (actually a friend took me and I think his dad held onto the stubs). McGwires signature has gotten simpler in recent years but remained pretty consistent during his playing days. I've owned a PSA/DNA copy of the Rated Rookie at least 3 times and always end up selling it when I'm in need of quick cash. Gotta get a keeper one of these years

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Those were the days. I remember staying up late with my brother and his friends while trading cards and watching the early years of Baseball Tonight.

My brother had a job so he had what seemed to be unlimited income to go buy cards. It pained me to see him bring wax boxes home multiple times a week while my allowance could afford 10 packs a week. :)

I would have loved to get an allowance back then.I was happy if I was able to buy a couple packs a month when Mom went to the grocery store or Wal-Mart.And then hide them in the car so I wasn't scolded for "wasting my money".

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008

Yeah, $3 and a 40 minute bike ride into town yielded 12 packs and felt like a rich kid. My first job was one night a week at a gun club setting trap and I got paid $16 cash for the night. The exact price of the first wax box I bought, 1989 Donruss. Yeah, people busting an entire fresh box might as well have been millionaires!

SteelBrad

Mar 2, 2013
Yeah, $3 and a 40 minute bike ride into town yielded 12 packs and felt like a rich kid. My first job was one night a week at a gun club setting trap and I got paid $16 cash for the night. The exact price of the first wax box I bought, 1989 Donruss. Yeah, people busting an entire fresh box might as well have been millionaires!

Agreed. I didn't do it a lot back then but it was an awesome feeling to have a whole wax box.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Cards I mentioned above weren't only cards I've had stolen.When I lived at home Mom often had someone come to our house to clean while we were at school.I guess one time the lady that cleaned our home brought her son with her, and when I got home while thumbing through my cards I noticed some of my Jordan cards were missing.Never did get them back.One of them was a sharp Jordan hologram.I loved that card, if I could find that card today I would buy it.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Agreed. I didn't do it a lot back then but it was an awesome feeling to have a whole wax box.

Know what you mean.Never had enough money to buy a whole box, one time I convinced Dad to buy a NFL junk box of Pro Set or Score marked down at Toys-R-Us or somewhere.When I got home I felt on top of the world ripping a box that I had never been able to do.I could spend all day reading the stats and bios on the back of the cards.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I think a bunch of people on the board are familiar with my massive theft a few years ago. This was during a home break-in, so they weren't everything that was taken (jewelry, digital camera, DVDs, etc.).

I was PISSED. Turns out, my wife's jewelry taught us about having separate riders on our home-owners insurance. But there are 2 silver linings to this:

1. I received full book value for most of the cards and if there wasn't a value and I could prove what I paid (thank you PayPal), I got that. And trust me, there was some serious loss of value and I was glad Beckett is so terribly out-of-touch. I got about $6,500 from the insurance for what was probably $2,000 worth of sell value.

2. About 3 weeks later, the stuff showed up on eBay. Between me and a few members here, I found the guy that had all the stuff. I was going to take a secret-agent tack, but my buddy Sam just messaged him thru eBay and basically called him out. But he was a decent guy and actually lived in Madison. He probably suspected what he had and just wanted to give them up to the detective I was working with; so I ended up getting most of everything back (he had already sold a few). The other thing was, I actually asked the adjuster about a situation arising like this (I was thinking if I saw them on Craigslist or at a show); the adjuster told me "if they happen to come back to you somehow, there's nothing we want to do with them, so what's done is done.)

Members online