Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Trading Card Startup Files 2015 Trademark Application and so on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
What is this world coming to? Trying to trademark 2015, 2016, 2017 and so on for trading cards.

In response to an inquiry about why TCI had not filed trademark applications for 2019 and beyond, a TCI spokesperson responded, "We planned on doing that, but another trading card manufacturer saw our first four filings, and poached 2019-2035. Then another saw those, and filed for 2036-2040. I think they're now up to the year 2083."

This could get crazy if the Trademark office approves this.

http://www.cardboardconnection.com/law-cards-parody-trading-card-startup-files-2015-trademark-app

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
This is crazy! REALLY dumb idea, especially with the how the guy from TCI is explaining his logic behind it:

When asked if he believed it was unethical to sell trading cards that did not yet exist, he responded, "The other trading card manufacturers trail blazed the redemption concept years ago. We're just taking the next logical step of moving from just a few cards that don't exist to the entire set."

"Since our checklists won't be set until 2015, they'll always be fulfilled. If you pull a redemption for card 157, you'll always get card 157. No other manufacturer can make that claim!"

As a collector I would be pissed if this actually happened. Not so much on the trademark of 2015 but more so on the continuous snowball effect all the other companies would most likely pursue. I wonder if this did actually go through, would other card companies be able to state "Two Thousand Fifteen" for the year versus seeing the date as an actual number?

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
It's April first already? Sounds like it.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online