Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Custom Cut Photograph opinions needed...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Okay, I had to doctor the following photo to use in a card and I want to know people's opinions on whether or not it's extremely noticeable. Basically, I just want to know whether or not it looks awkward.

I'll let everyone give me feedback before I explain what I did.

Thanks.

saucier_diamond_classic.jpg

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
It looks to me like you added a sleeve on his left arm. It looks pretty good but I think you missed a spot just past the white sleeve at the top of his left shoulder. Also, the sleeve doesn't seem to fit "right" at his wrist.

Of course I could be completely wrong too :lol: :lol: :lol:

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Ok...you both are partially correct..I added the entire (his) left arm.

Here is the original photo...
52fd_1.jpg

Saucier was known solely for being the player that Eddie Gaedel pinch-hit for. Saucier was a September call-up in 1951 and played in a mere 18 games and only one hit in 14 at-bats. He would never see the Major Leagues again. So, suffice to say, there aren't a lot of available photographs.

The fact that the arm didn't jump out too much, I'm thinking it's "good enough."

ru4scuba

Aug 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
200lbhockeyplayer said:
Ok...you both are partially correct..I added the entire (his) left arm.

After Therion mentioned the sleeve the cuff looked a little off to me but I had no idea you added the whole arm. "Good enough" is an understatement. If you aren't looking for something, you would never notice it.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
The giveaway on the arm is the white spot showing depth to the arm. Nothing else in the photograph indicates that the camera used for the picture would have provided this kind of depth.

(Man, I use PS too much if I'm seeing crap like that :lol: )

But overall, I don't think 99% of people would notice.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Therion said:
The giveaway on the arm is the white spot showing depth to the arm. Nothing else in the photograph indicates that the camera used for the picture would have provided this kind of depth.

(Man, I use PS too much if I'm seeing crap like that :lol: )

But overall, I don't think 99% of people would notice.
You're referring to the inner elbow? Or the shading on the forearm?

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
The white on the forearm. It's just too white. Every other depth in the photo is given by a black tone but it suddenly has a white depth tone on the forearm. I understand you had a black sleeve and wanted to give depth. It looks awesome. That was just what pulled my attention to the arm.

In my opinion, it is "good enough". Only PStards like me will likely notice.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Therion said:
Much better. It'd take a hardcore PStard to notice anything.
Well I typically rip these things apart, but after staring at this for a while it became hard to tell if it was noticeable.

So thanks everybody...it helped a lot.

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Wow...that's amazing work. I caught the spot where the autograph had been, but had no idea you added the entire arm. Your cuts always look great. What kind of paper are you printing them on?

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
subject to change said:
Wow...that's amazing work. I caught the spot where the autograph had been, but had no idea you added the entire arm. Your cuts always look great. What kind of paper are you printing them on?
I posted topic months ago about how I go about building these.

In a nutshell...

1. Place the flattened images of the front and back on a standard 4x6 layout...print at a photo developer. This gives a solid "real" feel to the graphics without the banding or loss from digital laser prints or inkjet prints.

2. Mount the back on acid-free matte board to give the card thickness.

3. Mount the front on acid-free 100lb cover stock to give the front some depth when you cut out the window.

4. Cut out the window.

5. Mount the autograph cut to the back of the front.

6. Mount the front of the card to the back.

7. Trim final card (approx. thickness of a patch card) down to 3.5" x 2.5"

Of note, I use 3m acid-free spray adhesive.

Members online